F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Slipper Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipper Clutch

I am thinking about buying a new bike and like just about everyone I see. I am trying to decide what type of options are important to me and right now i'm stuck on slipper clutches. I read how they a vast improvement and should be standard on all sport bikes. I don't want a 1000 so i'm stuck with every brand (big 4) but Honda for 600's with slippers.

Any comments on if it's worth it or not or how it be best utilized. I read they help with street riding by smoothing the clutch out so I think it would be good to have one no matter what type of riding you do.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Default RE: Slipper Clutch

I think slipper clutches are a great idea. Without doing any research the only issue i can think would be that if it breaks it would be more expensive to replace, but lets be realistic... how often do our hondas have problems like that?

Old 08-16-2008, 11:52 AM

Slippers are nice if you are gonna track it or override your ride..On the average street bike .It shouldnt be a selling point.

Ive rode a 08 r6..Tranny actually feels more "clunky" compaired to the f4i..Down shifting is better (if you want to go from 6th to 2 nd with no issues).But again on the street it doesnt matter.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:27 PM

IMO a slipper clutch is great on the track whenused by an expert racer. Not much use other than that.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Have you looked at the price of a slipper clutch? Its like over a grand. For that price you could buy like 7 or 8 OEM clutches.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:46 AM

I meant on new bikes. I thought about buying one to put on a bike but then I saw the price. Bike price wise, all the bikes with slipper clutches cost less than the ones without them.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:28 PM

There have been a couple of times where I have downshifted and I guess the revs were a bit too high for the lower gear and the rear wheel locked up just a bit. Enough to skid just a little bit, but nothing dangerous.I wondered if a slipper clutch would have prevented this.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:16 PM
WOT

Yeah, if you drop it into first at speed, you will lock it up. Also if you are on the rear brake and throw it down to 1st. On the street you don't really need a clipper clutch unless you ride ***** out and keep making mistakes.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM

I'd take the new RR without a slipper over any other bike out there.

New ZX6r Is Junk - Like total junk.
GSXR is for Stunna's who like stoppies.
Yamaha is pretty but has electrical gremlins and a ****ty trans.

Slippers do work but are way overrated, let out the clutch smooth and down shift down too far and your fine. Slipper's still arent perfect they still grab a bit.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:38 PM
SjT

I'm a newb when it comes to bikes but, coming from car racing the whole slipper clutch idea escapes me. When i downshift i match the revs with the throttle and let out the clutch. What would be a "heel-toe" shift in a car...or "wrist-toe" on the bike. Doing this would prevent any rear wheel lock-up, make a much smoother shift and increase clutch life.

Quick Reply: Slipper Clutch