F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Shop sucks!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop sucks!

So im taking my bike into the shop to get a front tire put on and they are chargeing me 56 bucks for that and i want just a general inspection and thats costing 45 and they dont even fix anything. Bunch of garbage! Plus they cant even get me my bike back same day, i have to wait till tomorrow to pick it up!!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 AM

wow..i got inspected yesterday and it was 10 dollars

Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by drew0387
So im taking my bike into the shop to get a front tire put on and they are chargeing me 56 bucks for that and i want just a general inspection and thats costing 45 and they dont even fix anything. Bunch of garbage! Plus they cant even get me my bike back same day, i have to wait till tomorrow to pick it up!!
Boohoo! How do you expect people to make their money? I'm a HVAC tech and it costs someone $75 for me to just come out and knock on their door. If you don't like it DIY!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have them inspect it then. It takes time to remove your wheel, remove the tire, install the tire, balance the tire, then re-install. Plus they are liable for you since they installed the wheel. If you can't do these things yourself, it's time to keep the wallet out because its not going to get any cheaper. Remember you asked for the general inspection, they dont care if they do it or not.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM

DIY!! (on the tire atleast) there are a billion DIY tire mounting videos online. All you need is a tire iron, an air compressor and some 2x4s (wood lol). No compressor? Mount the tire then walk into the back of a pep boys and say "can you guys do me a favor and seat the bead?" done and done. Those guys jizz their pants when you bring a bike tire in their shop. And it was FREEEEEE!!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by teko1020
Boohoo! How do you expect people to make their money? I'm a HVAC tech and it costs someone $75 for me to just come out and knock on their door. If you don't like it DIY!
hah... weird I help design HVAC systems...

and drew actually they are undercharging you here every shop charges 80-90 bucks a hour with a minimum 1 hour fee.... and thats not guaranteeing anything gets fixed thats just their rate...

shops are rough thats why i just prefer to do almost everything i can myself

Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 AM

When you DIY...uhm..I assume you have to balance the tire? I'm thinking you can't just simply mount a tire and throw it on the bike.

What makes sense is taking the wheel off and bringing it to the shop...off with the old...Mount + Balance and you're outta there.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 AM

yea thats what i did this winter... i started changing tires my self... the only thing i take it to a shop to do is to break the bead... they usually do it for me for free... after that... Tire irons and ALOTA SOAP

save me alota money

Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 AM

DYNA BEADS! no balancing required! not a single bad review. I use them and love them.

http://www.tntperformancedyno.com/DynaBeads.html

Old 03-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats not bad at all for mounting/balancing a tire.. and it seems that they are taking the wheel off the bike. even better...

A 'general inspection' sounds to me like it isnt a state inspection, but giving the bike a 'once over' to check everything out.. again.. not too bad if that is that.. I assume they will adjust/lube the chain for you, lube cables and check torque on some bolts....

yeah.. most shops do suck and they prey on the weak and ignorant, but this place doesnt sound terrible.. yet.. be skeptical of course, but if you cant cant DIY, then you must pay someone to do it for you.

Adam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shop sucks!