F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Shifting up help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting up help?

i bought my first 03 cbr f4i 600 about a month ago and im still getting used to it..but it seems like every time i shift up the bike jerks a little...not a lot but i can feel it and also whenever im just riding and i want to go faster when i pull the throttle back the bike also jumps a little...is it suppose to do that or i am pulling to hard or what?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:13 PM

you're bike isn't supposed to be rock solid. what do you mean by jump? it's supposed to jerk when it's put under a load. and it sounds like you're not shifting up correctly if it's jumping.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:59 PM

The Fuel injected engines on these things are very "quick". When you shift at a moderate speed it is harder to get a real smooth shift because the engine revs drop really quickly - that is probably all you are feeling. Either blip the throtlle a little between shifts, or get used to the jerk....

I actually thought in this respect my F4 was a little bit more of a pleasure to drive. The engine speed fell at a perfect speed for smooth shifting...

Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What RPMs are you normally cruising in? And when you say it 'jerks' do you mean it jerks and slows a little? Lurches forward? Sounds like you could be cruising and shifting in low RPMs. Basically, you could be going too slow for the gear selected.

Ride some more and make a note of what speed / gear / RPM you're at when shifting. IE: 35 mph in 2nd gear at 5k RPM.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
The Fuel injected engines on these things are very "quick". When you shift at a moderate speed it is harder to get a real smooth shift because the engine revs drop really quickly - that is probably all you are feeling. Either blip the throtlle a little between shifts, or get used to the jerk....

I actually thought in this respect my F4 was a little bit more of a pleasure to drive. The engine speed fell at a perfect speed for smooth shifting...
F4 lagged alot between shifts, seems im having the opposite effect than you with my f4i lol. My f4i is on the money with shifts while my f4 would seem to bog down.

OT: What rpm are you shifting at, as others have said that could have alot to do with it.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 AM

ok say im in first gear and im going about 18mph and i want to go 25 as i pull down the throttle i feel the bike like jerk up.... maybe im doing the throttle wrong...i dont know maybe its suppose to do that like i said i just started to ride a month ago....and is the proper way to shift up is 1.let go of the throttle.2 pull in clutch 3.hold clucth in and click up into next gear 3. release clutch and ride on?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 AM

seems to be right, but make sure you are not just dumping the clutch. you have to ease out of the clutch while you roll back onto the throttle.
i usually cruise around 5k or 6k. maybe you are trying to shift to soon? these bikes are made yo ride in the higher rpms.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM

I know this is gonna sound stupid but it happened to me on my first bike. You said this is your first bike correct? How much slack is in your chain. I like my chain to be fairly tight rather than slacking out. this slack can cause that "jump" you talk about because its trying to catch up a little. Also, check the throttle cable tension by just ever so slightly twisting the throttle and seeing how much play is in the cable before it actually pulls the cable. Two problems i found on my 03 f4i and now it runs smooth as hell

Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM

I had sort of the same issue with mine.. 03 f41. Im also a new rider. What my problem was, I was very very jerky and the torque would yank me all over at first .. What is sounds like is the same thing i went through,, getting to know how sensitive that throttle actually is. when you pull on that throttle your bike is really going to jump so just ROll the throttle. as far as changing gears , im still working on it as well. when you change gears to have a smooth and flowing shift,, Pull in the clutch, kick up into the next gear, then give a little throttle and lightly release the clutch. If you dump the clutch(just let go of it) the bike will bog down and jerk forward along with make you think something is wrong.

You mentioned the bike will jump when you give it throttle. If you are in first and just cruising at slow speeds while giving it throttle the bike will jerk and jump all over the place. feathering the clutch while giving throttle at low speeds will fix that . Its just new rider things it sounds like to me. since im still new at riding as well its almost like a replay of what i have and still am going through If im wrong in this , the responses others have posted sound like good starting points

Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by rell123456
ok say im in first gear and im going about 18mph and i want to go 25 as i pull down the throttle i feel the bike like jerk up.... maybe im doing the throttle wrong...i dont know maybe its suppose to do that like i said i just started to ride a month ago....and is the proper way to shift up is 1.let go of the throttle.2 pull in clutch 3.hold clucth in and click up into next gear 3. release clutch and ride on?
Are you dumping the clutch? Try smoothly releasing the clutch while giving it throttle when you are just cruising around in lower rpm's. When you are trying to get up and go and shifting later in the rpm's then you don't need to do this.

Quick Reply: Shifting up help?