F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

shifting/RPMs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting/RPMs?

Ok this is stupid but Im new so Im gonna ask anyways: What MPH and RPM do you shift for each gear and what RPM do you cruise at 45 MPH? I think I shift at too low of RPM. I was going by the book so I dont know. I went out last night and waited till I was higher in the RPMs to shift and it felt a lot better so I just want to make sure Im not gonna burn somethingout or do some damage to the engine/clutch. Thanks

Old 07-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Default RE: shifting/RPMs?

dude, its not like a car, ignore the manual, shift at like 8 or 9 thousand rpms. my 01 F4i redlines at like 14, i usually cruise in 3rd doin like 55 mph at like 5 or 6 thousand rpms. But when im really riding i hold my gears out for more power and shift at higher rpms. On the highway im shifting at like 11 or 12.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:46 PM

Like Marcee77 said, i wouldnt worry about where in the range you change gear, you won`t do it any harm unless your constantly bouncing of the rev limiter.[sm=badidea.gif]

For what its worth i regularly run into the red before i change gear, always have on most of my bikes, has never done any harm.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:59 PM

Yeah, it doesnt matter how high you shift really, theyre made to handle it. But if you think about it, people always say "my bike only has 6,000 miles on it", but if they cruise at 9k RPM's all the time and I cruise at 5k RPM and I have 6,000 miles on my bike, whos engine has less "wear/use" on it? Also, if you arent on the track or in some twisties, its so much smoother of a ride when you shift and cruise in the lower rpm's, especially when youre 2 up. Just my opinion, and thats from a pretty conservative rider unless I have a reason to go fast i.e.- twisties, twisties, twisties!!
Plus the more noise your bike is making, the more attention you get, attention from policemen included. It falls under that category of "the less youre seen, the less youre messed with", just ask those guys that get speeding tickets doing 5 over on a sport bike, also included in that category are idiots who think they have to lay on thier tank while cruising at 35-65 mph, it seems to add about 10mph to your actual speed. And thats straight from a smokie's/Govt MSF instructors mouth.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Well i was out riding and tried cruising in third and it seems awkward, i suppose i just have to get used to hearing my bike in higher rpms. but i have another question when do u shift in to yor last gear (at what speed) cuz im already in my last gear by 55 so im just wondering how high you guys are going before geting to that last gear. thanks ( i know im done with my quota of stupid questions for the month lol)

Old 07-12-2005, 04:26 PM

i almost never use 6th gear unless im over 90 mph. 5 gears is all I seem to need for everyday street riding. I shift out of first at 20mph then I tool around in second and third till 55mph. This keeps my rpms high but not too high, good enough to give me immediate response when i flick the throttle. Exhaust sounds noticeable but not too loud. Then from 55mph to around 90mph fourth and fifth seem to feel good.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Anubis

Like Marcee77 said, i wouldnt worry about where in the range you change gear, you won`t do it any harm unless your constantly bouncing of the rev limiter.[sm=badidea.gif]
Why is bouncing off the rev limiter a bad idea?????? The purpose of the rev limiter is too prevent you from revving too high to prevent any damage.

When I had my F3, I was constantly at or near the rev limiter. It had 78k miles (before I sold it) and it was running fine. It is still quite a trackworthy bike and dynoed only a few horses less than when it was new.

Old 07-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like bouncing off the limiter because it means I wasn't paying attention ... hitting the limiter in a race usually means you lose the race or at least a couple of positions. Shouldn't cause any damage unless something was already amiss.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:36 PM

rev limiter?

also after i have been riding like you say the engine seems to run a little more rough, is this natural or because now i am riding like im supposed to.

do all u ride like marcee in shifting gears? (not to say you are doing it wrong) this is just my first bike I OWNED and i dont to goof it up. thanks for the info and patience with me. Its people like who make us newbs better riders.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:01 PM

I use 6th gear all of the time, except on my VFR. A sport bike, no matter who makes it, will still pull ahead just fine at highway speeds. I also dont recommend cruising at 90. Wreckless driving tickets suck and usually double insurance premiums. I rode around at 7k-8k rpms for years, then I figured out when I shifted sooner and cruised at lower revs I had a much smoother more pleasureable ride. The power is addictive and it feels good, but I just didnt see the point in fighting the head jerk and the elbow straightening acceleration every second of every ride (daily rider) and turning that many rps all the time just seemed like unneccesary wear on the machine I loved so dearly...(pointing back to my last post)
Bottom line: Its really up to you, you paid for the thing and just as important, if its comfortable to you and you can properly execute manuvers on your bike in a safe and efficient manner (including not looking like a total herb like soooo many sport riders do), do what works.

Quick Reply: shifting/RPMs?