Old 07-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: shifting....

and here is the mystery dash:

[IMG]local://upfiles/8890/A91D7AF3B2C14445BBFD4888492F1B8E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FF4, good question!!!!!! This is a brief culmination, of watch'n for this in rags... Yes, you can do this... up... after 3rd. I believe you can learn to do it...down... in the top 3.
BUT...
Unless your Rossi, w/ support engines, all torn down after the race... WHY??????

Tranys, are NOT enginierd, to do this, w/ longevety... PERIOD!!!!!!!! The techs say, you WILL eat your dogs(things, that engage the gears, to each other). Untill you have a bike that misses shifts regularly, you will be introducing swarf(grit) from wearing off the edges of the gear dogs...PERIOD... Introducing that crap to the rest of your engine( sound fun????)

Ever bounced off the rev limiter, bang'n second, and missed the gear??Then when you recatch'n a gear... a horrendous CLUNK!!!!! Thats the closest thing to not use'n a clutch, and not have'n it PERFECT...DA DA DA CLUNK!!!!!!!! Is this worth end'n up w/ a slack gear box that, later on... you have to "gramma" to shift?????? TRY and explain that one, at resale/ trade in time. I WOULDN'T even give a slack trany bike, a consideration of purchase. It means, possible the whole bike has had equal abuse. I doubt a dealer would even consider a bike w/ a bad shifting box, there goes that high dollar trade in...

Next, if you are the (wanna be)great Rossi, and hang w/ people that only clutchless shifts, OR will leave you in the dust(exept the track) Learn how to ride better!!!!!!!!!!

You will loosen that gear box/ engine... you will start missing more shifts...ESP. that always important 1 to 2 shift.

Now smoothness ...BYE BYE, By the time youv'e "gotten good" at it... espec. on down shifts... I'l bet you'll locked up the rear end and high sided... Slipper clutches, on decel, are cool, and designed to make the, decel down shift transitions,smooth, keep'n you from loose'n rear wheel grip, missing apex's and worse. Clutchles downs, are totaly counterpoductive.

I grew up on open class moto x'rs, clutchless shifts always... This isn't the same kind of bike(design) or ride'n technique. I had a hard time, not try'n to put my foot down !!!!!!!!!! By the way, no block pass'n, either !!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 07-02-2006, 03:40 PM

Excellent reply Rippn,

I appreciate the advice and time that you took on that, it's good info!

I am employing the clutch more and working on the general technique of the bike and it's mechanics...

Talk about a change from the dirt I'm used to.

Well i need water in a BIG way, little too much fun at the rodeo last night...

[:'(]

Have a great day all!

~Brian

Old 07-02-2006, 07:00 PM

Don't shift without the clutch.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:11 PM

Hey Snowbarding82...

How did the slow manuvers go?

I didn't get much time on 'er this weekend, it seemed that everything else kept popping up, and being only permitted i try to not get to much "alone time" anyway, i am sure that the local law enforcement would have an issue with that, the bike is insured but still, I am not sure what the punishment is in Oregon, but I am not wanting to find out either...

I had on IDIOT tailgating me this weekend... What the HELL are people thinking, I wanted to put my boot thru his grill. DAMMIT. Don't relish the idea of becoming a bumber bolt due to a dumbass.

Thanks again for the shifting advice, going with the clutch by the way...

Have a great day!

~bri

Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Flyin_F4

I'm telling you, this is about to drive me nuts, I am a skilled driver (car) that has been into ProSolo SCCA racing for years with Early Datsun 240 Z cars and this motorcyce thing is a whole new learning process.

~Brian
Ive got a 1972 datsun 240z copper penny mint

Old 07-03-2006, 04:05 PM

VERY NICE!

I am looking for another, I have a '71 510 that I am thinking of selling, but that is a tough car to find again anymore.

And damn, it handles nice.

~B

Old 07-03-2006, 06:01 PM

Flyin-
Still kind of tricky especially the U-turns it's just kind of scary not wanting to lay a brand new bike down and then look like a retard with it all scratched up. I do feel a little more comfortable now though from practicing.

I learned something thats been very helpful too. When going about 15mph and under only using the rear brake. Wow ballance is SOOOO much easier, that was awesome. I used to be somewhat of a foot dragger as he calls it using only the front brake when going REAL slow now after practicing this (didn't take much practice it just felt perfect) I drop my feet only when im stopped. Now I just wish I could get used to doing some hard leans at high speeds like on/off ramps for the freeway my tires look funny. The middle sections you can tell are broken in but about 1-1 1/2 inches of the outside of my tires still look brand new. Anyway, my post has gotten off topic from shifting so I'll end it here.

Thanks again!!
Mike

Old 07-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Good Point on the change of subject, I think that I will start a new thread on riding tips and I'll let you know, that way we can stay on subject and also get some advice from some seasoned veterans...

And I found the same thing with the rear brake application on the slow speed manuvers.

Chat later...

~Brian

Quick Reply: shifting....