F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board
View Poll Results: What would you do if your helmet was stuck on your bike away from home?
Walk home
0%
Ride home with helmet locked on the bike
51.43%
Call someone to get another helmet
22.86%
Call someone to get a ride home and figure it out later
0%
Call someone to get tools to get the helmet off
25.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Seat Lock broke. What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Lock broke. What would you do?

I came out from a crappy night at work and stuck the key in the seat lock and felt it slip off the cable when I turned it So I can't get my helmet off the lock

My question, what would you do if this happened to you?

I ended up riding home (9 mi) without my helmet or gloves. I felt like a squid... riding in my jacket and pants and boots, with the helmet on the side of the bike I took it easy going about 35 mph. Only had a few bugs to the face Now I have to tear apart the tail and get my helmet back from my bike

Last edited by usetheffours; 06-11-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:21 PM

I may be an exception in your poll since I am a mechanic, and my bike is always next to my tool box, but I prolly woulda done the same thing you did. Made me laugh a little about it cause I seen some guy wearing full gear with his helmet locked on the side of his bike today. Where in Indy are you ? I am about 25 miles north of Louisville.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened to me. I was like crap what to do. Played with it for awhile and it came unlocked

Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 PM

^^I'm just west of Indianapolis
I messed with it for a while and had no luck. I got it home and took off the grab bar and was able to move the cable back with a screwdriver and pop it off. I fixed the bracket so I won't be having this problem again *knocks on wood*

Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 PM

I'd probably try to get someone to bring me my backup helmet - but I sure wouldn't leave the bike there so i'd do what you do.

I'm sure that was quite the funny sight too! Full gear with no helmet. hah.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Happened to me not too long ago, and I WAS PISSED!

Here is what I did:

- Pull the rear seat from the opposite side where the lock is. Once you do this, the seat will be held to the bike by the lock system, and only the lock system.

- Lift the seat from the front section, and use the longest/thickest flat head screwdriver you can find. Wedge the head of the driver, between the lock mechanism (where the cable is attached to the lock mechanism) and the frame (where the lock is bolted too)

- In short/hard/sudden movements, push the handle end of the screwdriver towards the left (the side where the rear brake caliper is).

- Voila!

Hope that makes sense!!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:17 AM

9 miles isn't very far. But it would still suck/be unsafe. Hope it doesn't happen again!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by knonfs
Happened to me not too long ago, and I WAS PISSED!

Here is what I did:

- Pull the rear seat from the opposite side where the lock is. Once you do this, the seat will be held to the bike by the lock system, and only the lock system.

- Lift the seat from the front section, and use the longest/thickest flat head screwdriver you can find. Wedge the head of the driver, between the lock mechanism (where the cable is attached to the lock mechanism) and the frame (where the lock is bolted too)

- In short/hard/sudden movements, push the handle end of the screwdriver towards the left (the side where the rear brake caliper is).

- Voila!

Hope that makes sense!!
Seems like a hell of a lot of trouble. I'd just take the driver seat off, clip a wire clothes hanger, hook it and then yank on the cable. But I have a 2002, not sure what you would do with a 04+.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by teko1020
Seems like a hell of a lot of trouble. I'd just take the driver seat off, clip a wire clothes hanger, hook it and then yank on the cable. But I have a 2002, not sure what you would do with a 04+.

I can't picture how you would do that all the way from the drivers seat, AND have enough force to pull on that cable...

Much less with a clothes hanger

The reason why I say this is because that mechanism is requires a lot of force.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:11 AM

hhappened to me the other day. got a real long thin metal rod and pressed the release lever fron going under the main seat

Quick Reply: Seat Lock broke. What would you do?