F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Seafoam & shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam & shifting

my bike was due for an oil change. i sometimes have troubling shifting smoothly into 2nd gear. i just poured some seafoam into the oil and damn do i feel the difference. its way smoother. anyway i plan to ride it for the next 100 miles then change it out. good stuff.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:48 PM

I do seafoam before every oil change, I think it really does help keep the carbon and crap to a min. The first time it changed my oil black in only 30 miles. Its great stuff.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cj51974
I do seafoam before every oil change, I think it really does help keep the carbon and crap to a min. The first time it changed my oil black in only 30 miles. Its great stuff.
quick question... is there special motocycle seafoam that you've bought or just regular stuff made for cars and how much have you put in at once.. the whole thing??? and do you leave it in for one long 100 mile ride or it doesnt matter and it will work just driving to work ev eryday for like a week until you get to 100... just looking for an opinion...
anyone else want to chime in that'll be great..
the bike i'm riding drives great.. has low miles but it sat for a long time, anyway when i cleaned the carbs and took them off i was able to obviuosly see into the valve area and it had alot of like carbon build-up or whatever was stuck to the walls i'd like to see gone..
thanks a head time.. jay

Old 10-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher
quick question... is there special motocycle seafoam that you've bought or just regular stuff made for cars and how much have you put in at once.. the whole thing??? and do you leave it in for one long 100 mile ride or it doesnt matter and it will work just driving to work ev eryday for like a week until you get to 100... just looking for an opinion...
the bike i'm riding drives great.. has low miles but it sat for a long time, anyway when i cleaned the carbs and took them off i was able to obviuosly see into the valve area and it had alot of like carbon build-up or whatever was stuck to the walls i'd like to see gone..
thanks a head time.. jay
You may want to use it in your gas. I generally use twice the regular dosage about 2-3 times/yr. Putting it in your oil won't do anything for your valves. I also add a few oz for storage.

I've never used it in my oil, though. Never really had a reason to, I guess. If my clutch was burnt I'd just swap it out.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher
thanks a head time.. jay
just the regular sea foam you find in autozone or other places like that.
and yea you can ride everyday for a 100 miles with it no problems.
and add a half ounce for every quart of oil in there.
as for gas add 1 ounce for every gallon

Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM

I use one ounce for every gallon of gas and half an ounce for every quart of oil. 150 miles before an oil change I will fill the tank add the seafoam in the gas and oil then ride until I need to fuel up again and then change the oil but everybody has their own way of going about it

Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this sounds crazy. excuse my ignorance. motor oil is engineered a specific way. companies like castrol, shell...etc, spend lots of money on research and science nerds to for a reason. why would you pour a chemical into your oil without knowing the specifics of how it will react?

i swear, i see people posting sea foam as a solution for everything on this form. bike doesnt start? sea foam. your marriage is falling apart? sea foam. Do you guys work for sea foam or something?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ya pretty funny...
reminds me of the movie "my big fat greek weding" where the father uses windex to fix everything.. you have a cut "windex" you fall down get a bruise "windex" you wifes cheating on you.. well you get the picture... but back to your original point "mnguy" the thing with seafoam is : you can put it in your motor and it will effectivly clean it.. with hurting seals,gaskets ect... and when you allow it to come out it drags all the crap with it... people have been using it a long time... in my case, the bike im driving had been sitting for almost a few years.. and im sure at least a couple of them without even being started.. so while i was doing a carb cleaning i was able to peak into the motor and saw alot of **** caked to the walls.. im hoping the seafoam will effectivly resolve that problem.. without hurting the motor...

anybody mind passing the windex...

Old 10-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mnguyen84
this sounds crazy. excuse my ignorance. motor oil is engineered a specific way. companies like castrol, shell...etc, spend lots of money on research and science nerds to for a reason. why would you pour a chemical into your oil without knowing the specifics of how it will react?

i swear, i see people posting sea foam as a solution for everything on this form. bike doesnt start? sea foam. your marriage is falling apart? sea foam. Do you guys work for sea foam or something?
because we have heard enough stories of it working! and i actually did feel the difference when i put seafoam in. its not like im pouring seafoam in to fix a blown motor.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Omg209, I dont doubt that you feel a difference, nor was my intention to dismiss what you are sharing with us as fiction. I'm using your thread to reflect on the general collection of seafoam stories, which seem to be too good to be true. There' seems to be something that you guys know and I dont, and I want to find out.

If seafoam is supposed to clean your engine, then what does it clean on in the engine? I bought my F4i off my friend. He had abandoned it after a accident. In the process of fixing it up, I had to take a part many components of the engine: valve head, cams rods, alternator, clutch...etc. The bike has 36k+ miles on it, and even though it has collected 1 or 2 years worth of cosmetic rush, the inside of the engine was pretty clean.

Unless you don't change your oil and let it gunk up your valves, I dont understand what is this "dirty" build up that requires seafoam to clean. And even if your did have a build up of gunk on the valves or what not, i doubt a gentle rinse of seafoam in the oil would help that much. that gunk is so tough that you need to treat it with an aggressive chemical bath or roll up your sleeves and scrub it down with diesel to get it off.

Quick Reply: Seafoam & shifting