Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saddle bags on an F4i

woot...you forgot condoms.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 PM

Hey Xx New Guy xX,
I was wondering how the guy you rode with liked his cortech sport tribags? I already have the tail bag and am debating on getting the saddlebags to go with it or get the large nelson-rigg. I looked up the liters and it looks like the cortech held 52 with the saddlebags and tailbag which is less than the large nelson's. I am a light packer anyways and I'm not sure how I would like such large saddlebags on the bike like the nelson's, thats one reason I would looking at the cortech sportbags. I was wondering what all you fit in those bags and how many days you were gone on the 800 mile ride? maybe this will give me an idea of what i want to/need to stuff in there. Thanks

Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was on the road for 5 days - and the last day was 1000 miles. I have the cortech sport bags (tail and saddle).

The saddle bags are great as they attach to the passenger or rider foot guards and WILL NOT slide back. Then I have the rear strap go around the tail and snap onto the other sides rear strap. This means they can't slide forward. The tail bag snaps onto the side bags. So when you want to take the set off the bike, snap the left and right clips and she lifts off.

The hooks on the top bag give you space to bungee on a tent if you want. For me - top bag was sleeping bag, sweater, visor. The top-side pockets had stuff like spare gloves, food, etc. The tent was strapped on top. The left and right bags had socks, underwear, shirts, and a pair of jeans and sneakers, plus tools.

I pack light - but why not?

On the F4 with the banana seat I have tested the tank, tail and saddle bags to 110-120mph. Nothing moved.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:11 AM

Xx New Guy xX / Woot, have you ever tried your saddlebags when riding two-up? Sorry but I don't have access to a shop and would like to order a set. However,I need them to ride with pillion. Anyone else can chip-in?

Thanks a million for any feedback.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:49 AM

Here are the pictures from when I was test fitting the bags... I don't think you could have a passenger with them on... certainly not with the top bag on!

http://gallery.atpic.com/13812

Old 11-13-2008, 04:59 AM

If you have a small passenger, and a small set of side bags, you may be able to make it work. You certainly can not if you put the top bag on.

I realize this is a different bike, but they sit fairly similarly on the seat.

http://gallery.atpic.com/13812

In this picture, if I had of put the straps under the seat it would have left the pillion seat empty... and if the pillion pegs were out, perhaps they could get their feet on the pegs. The question would be, could they do that comfortably, and would their feet interfere with my foot pegs? It might be possible. A situation where flush mount rear indicators might make it easier to move the bags further back.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 AM

Woot, appreciate a lotyour exhaustive and prompt reply, thanks. Unless someone else has another idea / experience with another product, my best option would bethe Ventura system then. They are a bit pricey and they sit highish but it looks like the best option / compromise.However,you mentioned something interesting..... flush mount indicators. Or I could possibly try fabricating brackets and moving them further back to accommodate the saddle bags.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:58 AM

If you still have the rear fender on, you could probably flush mount right to the OEM holes in the fender.

Then you could slide the bags back a good 4", which should give more than enough room for her feet.

THAT BEING SAID - if your exhaust is a high mount, or the bags are very deep, then the exhaust clearance will diminish. Make sure you keep a couple of inches clearance, and don't pack meltable stuff in the bottom. This will limit how far back you can slide the bags.

A friend of mine had his bags shift (leather bags on a metric cruiser) and get close to the exhaust. When they arrived at my place, all of her underwear was scorched an unwearable. Talk about an awkward moment

Also - when you do put the bags on, make sure the front straps are as far forward as possible - so that they provide the best anchor to stop the bags sliding backwards. I usually use the end of the riders heel guard, and have used the pillion bracket.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:03 AM

all of her underwear was scorched
Good setup for winter then ....

J/k apart, will have a look this weekend, I prefer to have the weight as close as possible the centre of gravity of the bike, so thanks again for the pointers.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 AM

For what it is worth, fully loaded I slung the F4 through the twisties with hardly any change at all... one has to remember that luggage is lower slung than people. It's the difference between having a twig for a girlfriend, and a slightly better proportioned girlfriend You'll hardly notice when it counts.

Quick Reply: Saddle bags on an F4i