F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Saddle bags on an F4i

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saddle bags on an F4i

Here is an image I stole from newenough.com of the "large" nelson-rigg setup.

I ordered the large saddlebags: http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/s...addlebags.html ~ 20 liters each

and the semi-large tail bag: http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/t...tail_pack.html ~ 30-39 liters

Total of 70-80 liters which is about the same amount of space as 1.5 carry-on size bags on an airplane

Hopefully when I am using just the saddlebags I can still go 2-up but that's not a necessity, it would just be nice. My g/f has way too much crap for us to go away more than one night anyway on the bike.....

Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Kiker;

What's the difference between the packs you ordered and the Silver Streak edition: SSC-150 Deluxe Sport Saddlebags

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Spor...SSC150-Big.htm

They always show the pictures from the rear at an angle (like the one in your post). It's hard to tell how much the bag encroaches on the front part of the saddle. Sure looks good in the picture! Let us know what you think when you get them put on.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:30 PM

http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/s...addlebags.html - it looks like the silver streak is slightly smaller than the cl950 according to the specs (it probably doesn't have like one or two of the outside pockets). There is also an image of the silver streak from the some better angles at the newenough site.

I'll be sure to take (tons) of pics of my own for my niagara falls trip next weekend.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 PM

I really like the look of the Silver Streak bags (match my ride)... I need something big enough to maybe throw a lunch in , maybe a Macbook (on occasion)..sometimes some sneakers , pair of shorts etc

Big enough?

Goose

Old 05-16-2008, 02:41 AM

This post really got me interested so i did some research and found this which I think looksawesome: http://www.ventura-bike.com/videos.aspx?video=overview. Its kind of the best of both worlds in terms of riding solo or with pillion. Anyone here has this system and care to share some feedback? Thanks a million.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 PM

Hey Guys,

I rode for some 800+ miles with the large nelson-rigg setup and let me tell you I loved it. It has TONS of room, I was easily able to pack everything I needed, and I didn't even expand the tail section (which would have added another 10% or so of volume) The bike hardly acted any differnetly in terms of handling or performance - it was slightly noticable but I was still able to go plenty quick and lean pretty hard. Real easy setup and a pretty decent quality bag. Some of the stitching on one side started to come loose, but there is a lifetime warranty so if it really bugs me I'll see if I can have it replaced but for now I'm happy. Pretty sure with just the saddlebags I would not be able to go 2-up because they go pretty far foward, but I still might try it.

Name:  DSC00935.jpg
Views: 3347
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  DSC00931.jpg
Views: 2681
Size:  150.2 KB

Name:  DSC00947.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  DSC01001.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  123.3 KB

Name:  DSC01002.jpg
Views: 3118
Size:  111.0 KB

Old 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Are the bags joined under or above the seat? Do your heals hit the front of the bags?

Reason I'm asking is I have a set of Joe Rocket saddle bags, but I had to turn them around with the narrow (pointey) end facing forward so they wouldn't interfere with my heels. Mine are mounted under my banana seat so that makes them sit a bit lower.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:33 AM

I mounted the saddle bags above the seat, the tail bag attatches to the saddle bags with two straps on each side (4 total straps)

Underneath the entire tail section I had two straps (one towards the front, one towards the rear) and two bungies attached to each other.

It was solidly on there. I can take some more pictures if anybody wants to see specifically what I did to affix the whole setup to my bike

Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 AM

Looks good! Yeah, more pics would not be a bad idea

Hey, noticed you have a GPS...is that a RAM mount and is it mounted in the center of the handlebars in the middlehole (under the lack plastic cap)? I think you order the RAM in different pieces...if so what pieces did you get?

Thanks

Goose

Old 05-29-2008, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Goose Rider

Looks good! Yeah, more pics would not be a bad idea

Hey, noticed you have a GPS...is that a RAM mount and is it mounted in the center of the handlebars in the middlehole (under the lack plastic cap)? I think you order the RAM in different pieces...if so what pieces did you get?

Thanks

Goose
I will post up some more pics maybe this weekend if I find some time.

Yes, I do have a garmin zumo and it is a RAM mount and it is in the fork stem. It did NOT fit well and I had to go to a hardware store to buy some different size rubber plugs and with some trial and error I made it work, I think I have posted about this somewhere else on this forum, but here is the link to the ram mount anyway - http://www.ram-mount.com/mount/motor...tem_mounts.htm I also got an extended arm (4 inch i think, i don't remember off the top of my head) because the one that came with the zumo wasn't long enough to see w/out actually bending my head down to look, which was pretty dangerous. The zumo came with the proper cradle and ram-mount attachment, but there are tons of options there if you have/use a different gps

Quick Reply: Saddle bags on an F4i