F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rivet Style Links

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rivet Style Links

ok guys
i kinda messed up
ive finally got my chain ordered and after it was ordered and sent out, i found out it was rivet style instead of clip style

so now i need to know what i need to take links out and to be able to put the chain on
i was going to get a chain breaker and chain press, but idk if they work with rivet style

so pretty much, what tool do i need to remove links from a rivet style chain?
and what do i need to put the chain on?

thanks for any info guys

Old 03-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey G3NESYS, you got the right chain, you don't want the clip kind unless you're off-roading. I believe you can use the breaker on any chain or you can grind it off: LINK. Also, the chain is going to require a master link (the one that gets pressed on) to assemble the chain, unless one came with it.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0467/

Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 AM

Chain breakers work with ALL chains regardless of the type of master link, and chain presses are designed specifically for the rivet style of master link. You dont need a breaker, an angle grinder works great. Just grind the pin down so its flush with the plate, then take a hammer and punch to knock the pin out. I just did mine over the week end and thats how I did it. Now I'm waiting for my rivet link to come in the mail, the kit came with a clip on master link, which alot of people suggest not to use. And I'm looking for a cheap press to install it, looks like eBay is my best option.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reason clip-links are bad is because most people install them bass-ackward. Save the headache and get the a rivet link and the proper tools (as shown above).

Old 03-11-2009, 07:17 PM

Jaybird is right about the reason e-clip ML generally dont work. I always use the e-clip style masterlinks and have never had one fall apart. I see alot of them installed backwards though.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 AM

ok, i got everything installed and the links taken out of my chain but it came with the rivet style link, i got a chain press, but its a press for the clip style link... is there a way to smash down the pins on the master rivet link or do i have to have a chain riveter?

it sucks, my bike is int he garage right now, completely ready to ride except that little link
i got this chain press:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

so is there anyway i can rig something up to rivet the other end of the link?
thanks for the help guys

Old 03-15-2009, 01:26 PM

That tool is designed for use with rivet (aka press) master link. The screws at the ends are what press the rivets through the chain. Alignment is critical. If you fubar it, you will damage your tool and possibly the master link.

Search youtube for videos of how to do it properly. Ignore the ones where they use pliers, hammers, and vices, etc.

I have a MotionPro tool and I know, the instructions are a bit light.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Default link press

if you got a rivet masterlink and a chain/ link press there should be a small round anvil in the tool kit the one with the indent goes on the back and the other one with a little nipple on it goes to the side u want to spread. if you have any questions go to your local shop and ask the guy that rides the most trashed bike on the staff he usually knows whats up or someone you trust

Old 03-15-2009, 01:59 PM

are you sure?
the screws on the sides just change the distance between the two outside plates, they dont actually touch the chain. the big pin in the middle is what puts the pressure down on it.. but there is a groove in the middle of the plates so that it wont touch the pins (or rivets i guess) so it seems like it would be putting all the pressure on the outside plates of the chain and smashing those in, rather than smashing the rivet pins flat.

i looked for videos on youtube but the only one i could find the guy was using a chisel type thing to hammer in the midle and spread them

one of my buddies said he does his with a c clamp so i didnt know if maybe i hammered and spread them a little first, i could just twist the c clamp on there and smash them down

Old 03-15-2009, 02:50 PM

My bad on the explanation, been awhile since using one and my tool is slightly different (I wish I'd known about this one, mine was $100 bux).

Once pressing the pins through, the screw-down has a head that flares the open end of the rivet to keep it from backing out.

I'm sure your tool has a way to align and push the pins through. Mine had an adapter that I used from the other side, then transferred to the mushroom pin to flare the head.

I agree with the above. Goto your friends at the moto shop if you're unsure and ask how to use your tool if need be. Tip him well, little things will go far.

Quick Reply: Rivet Style Links