F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding in the wind?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:32 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding in the wind?

this doesn't solve the problem, but it helps (unless it's major wind): stick your knee out into the direction wind is coming from. this acts like a sail and disperses the wind a bit around the bike instead of into it.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze
this doesn't solve the problem, but it helps (unless it's major wind): stick your knee out into the direction wind is coming from. this acts like a sail and disperses the wind a bit around the bike instead of into it.
i never heard of that before... all i can say is that this move will slow you down and in a windy condition you actually need more momentum to power through. I think that Victor is doing the right thing by leaning into the wind's direction and throttling up.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Retired Moderator

...I think Kewl knows what he is talking about. ****, he's got wind in his name...plus he's a Mawfaki (shudder, tremble, tremble). I was riding in the wind today, but the worst part was, I had on a back pack. Kind of a sucky deal. I really need a tank bag!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 01:30 AM

ya i just stay in side on windy days or else ill problly end up in a ditch!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 04:49 AM

I hate the wind to but I ride in it. My bike is my main form of transportation and recreation. As someone mentioned before, I also HATE riding behind Semi Trucks. The wind coming off of them shakes you all over the place!

Old 05-06-2007, 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: FiremanE4

I hate the wind to but I ride in it. My bike is my main form of transportation and recreation. As someone mentioned before, I also HATE riding behind Semi Trucks. The wind coming off of them shakes you all over the place!
Your main form of transportation? ...so you ride to work with your bike? How do you bring your turnouts to the station?

Old 05-06-2007, 03:25 PM

They stay at the station. We are paid, we dont take anything home. Its the city's gear as far as they are concerned. We each have our own gear lockers they stay in. Although one time I did have to travel to another station to fill in for 12 hours. That was fun getting it loaded on the bike but it wasnt too bad.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:29 PM

i was out today in some ****ty wind. Best thing i think is to just lean into the wind to stay straight.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:15 AM

yea wind here sucks pretty bad some days too and with me its just easier to try and lean into it as much as i can and besides that just try to keep keep a good grip so that is a big gust comes through i can adjust

Old 05-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: alekinci

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze
i never heard of that before... all i can say is that this move will slow you down and in a windy condition you actually need more momentum to power through. I think that Victor is doing the right thing by leaning into the wind's direction and throttling up.

Thanks Voodoo! Yeah, this Mawfaki doesn't make **** up .. lol

several things that can help:

* Stick your windward knee out, effectively making yourself asymmetrical to the wind. Basically, when you get hit by a gust, your leg scoops some of it up, so the wind pulls you in at the same time it pushes you away... it cuts the effect substantially.

Several sources cite the above info, (here's one of'em)

There are several bridges that scared me a long time ago when I started riding and I tried that method, (and as previously mentioned), it doesn't solve the problem but it does help .. unless you're in hurricane force winds

Quick Reply: Riding in the wind?