F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding technique question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding technique question

Say your leaning in a nice corner, going a little faster than you should be, and then the car ahead of you steps on the brakes, what can you do?

I know you cant brake, or slow down when your leaning, so what can be done?

Old 06-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Default RE: Riding technique question

I let off the gas and slow down in corners sometimes when I'm coming in too hot. If you're going to brake in a corner use only the rear.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:58 AM

I go into a corner in lower gears so that I could slow down more by letting off the gas. I know in my MSF coarse we were taught to straighten the bike up and brake hard. You don't want to apply brake while leaning. If I'm not familiar with the turn or who is in front of me, I'll go into the turn slow and accelerate coming out of the turn. Because I'd hate to be put into a situation where I have to brake mid turn.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:30 AM

ORIGINAL: snowboarding82

I let off the gas and slow down in corners sometimes when I'm coming in too hot. If you're going to brake in a corner use only the rear.
rear brake in a corner?

it's done to settle the chassis by some very good riders, but even then it's just a slight brush. very little actually pressure, and not enough to really slow you down. otherwise it's a great way to lose the rear and wad it up.

in the described scenario i'd either adjust the line to get around the cage, or stand it up and try to stop in time per MSF suggestion.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:58 AM

and if all else fails, a lowside is pretty much always better than a highside... learning how to lay your bike down in an emergency situation is always a good thing...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: charlos

ORIGINAL: snowboarding82

rear brake in a corner?

it's done to settle the chassis by some very good riders, but even then it's just a slight brush. very little actually pressure, and not enough to really slow you down. otherwise it's a great way to lose the rear and wad it up.

in the described scenario i'd either adjust the line to get around the cage, or stand it up and try to stop in time per MSF suggestion.
Would you explain to me when you said "adjust the line to get around the cage"

Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 AM

This all depends on the situation...

Did you know a car was in front of you before you started leaning it a lot? If so... I highly advise not to take turns so hard when there's other cars ahead of you.

If you were going into the turn already, and mid-turn you catch up the car which is braking hard... then if possible, lean it more even if you have to drag parts a little and go on the inside lane or shoulder lane to get around it.

I discourage braking at all in full lean unless you're a professional.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

4 second rule.

If the guy in front of you is getting in your way, then you need to not follow so closely. Your job is to not get yourself in this predicament. You gotta assume that every person out there is trying their best to kill you.

Proper Prepararation Prevents Poor Performance.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have to use it, do so...
just know that if you grab the front in a full lean (like dragging, etc.) the bike would want to stand up...BUT...if your at the verge of the tire's traction it'll wash out.

FYI...you CAN brake while leaned over...not recommended cause you may wash out...but if you have to...you have to.

don't use the rear while in a lean like that unless you really know what you're doing...but then if you did know what you were doing, you shouldn't be in this predicament!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:47 PM

if you have to use the brake mid-corner, monkey lean waayyyyy off the inside of the bike to stand the bike up as verticle as possible while stopping (front brake of course)
rear brake in a corner is something you do on the track if your really really really comfortable with it, not on the street ESPECIALLY if your trying to stop or slow down a lot, its intended to tighten a line mid-corner without loading the front end too much or to settle the bike down if you turn in while the engine braking is still making the rear tire slide around, not for actual stopping. Thats what the front brakes are for, and they're damn good at it too

Quick Reply: Riding technique question