F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Riding boot question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding boot question

on a side note, these might look comfortable to walk around in, but can't confirm never owned or worn them:

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/b...cle_boots.html

Old 01-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away from the Chukka's or any boot that has laces. Laces and motorcylces is a really BAD combination, cause laces get caught on things (ie. your shifter), and will create havoc.
Good point ~ another thing I forgot to mention is that most of these boots have "side-zippers" to make it easy to put on/off. You can essentially tie the laces in a knot and tuck them inside the boot. Then just use the zipper.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Sidi's are comfy to wear all day long. Drawback to em tho is the soles wear out faster as they are not the thickest to start with.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM

my advice. dont walk around all day in your riding boots. wear them while riding then change em. riding boots are not meant to be walked in all day long. you can always tie your laces together on your shoes and strap them to your pack.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:57 PM

If it was me i would get the A* S-MX riding shoes, I have the A* Stunt shoes and i work in them for 12 hours aday. I wouldnt get the icon boots, I have the field armor boots but they are hard to get use to riding in cause the boot is so big i have a hard time getting in between the shifter and peg to up shift. but they are ok to walk around in kinda stiff and they dont kill your feet if your in them all day

Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 PM

Don't think for a minute that a walking/work boot will protect you in a crash. It'll just act like a synthetic sack to contain your broken bones and the other gooey bits.

You need something stronger than the bones you're trying to protect.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: dave ls1

Don't think for a minute that a walking/work boot will protect you in a crash. It'll just act like a synthetic sack to contain your broken bones and the other gooey bits.
That is a good point. Riding boots are engineered to protect for motorcycle specific needs, where regular boots are not. The best solution is to buy something for your specific needs, be it riding boots, golf shoes, or ski boots. The OP has money for riding boots which is a good thing. Do you have some dealerships or a motorcyle accessory shop in your town? I have both in the next town over. It would be nice if you could go and try everything on first. Ordering blindly online can cause fitment issues. Thank God I have not had that problem, yet, but it could be a drag.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordering blindly online can cause fitment issues.
You got that right. Whether it be gloves, helmets, boots, ect...

Just wanted to throw this out there and explain myself. I recommended those boots as an alternative to the dedicated riding boots he already owns and in light of the luggage issues he presented. Although I agree that a pair of SIDI $400 racing boots would offer ultimate protection, realistically speaking, it’s understandable he shouldn’t be walking in motorcycle boots all day. The boots I pointed him towards (if by a quality manufacturer) won’t protect him in a major accident, but do offer excellent ankle support and abrasion resistance while maintaining comfort, ideal tothe casual commute to school. Just want to make sure that my suggestion is interpreted for what it is; just a suggestion albeit from personal experience. Don’t want you guys to think I’m a self-proclaimed Mr. Knowitall.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Retired Moderator

Don’t want you guys to think I’m a self-proclaimed Mr. Knowitall.
No worries...smartypants. Hahahaha!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all of the input everyone.

My AVG Sebring 2 boots, I believe offer really great protection. The reason why I decided to invest in a second pair of boots was also to have a nicely protecting boot that did not go as high as my calf. For my walking around comfort, this is just because for two days out of the week I will be at school from 9AM - 3PM and on those days, any extra luggage other than my books and lock becomes more than needed. But I do understand the shoelace tie to backpack idea and I may just have to try that.

I am probably going to still look to buy a shorter (but still protecting) boot as a second pair because I like to have alternate boots when needed.

I am looking at the Icon Field Armour, Joe Rocket Super Street boots, Alpinestar SMX-2 and a couple different Gaerne and Diadora`s.

All of the boots that I have looked at are shin-high boots that offer great protection.

Here are some links:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...mor-Boots.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...eet-Boots.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...MX-2-Boot.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Jet-Boots.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...mer-Boots.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ress-Boot.aspx

Although all of my links are from Motorcycle-superstore, I do shop around at other sites. This was just the easiest to get my links from with the `list all on one page` option.

I really like the Gaerne boots, but they are about 50.00 over my budget, but for the protection they offer (from the picture) it would be worth it to nab them.

I`ll be reading and drilling down which boots from recommendations and whatever else I find over the net before I make my final decision. My main concern is function: Full protection and not look, but my second is comfort.

Also, there are a few stores within about 30 -45 minutes of driving and I will go and try some boots on before I buy.

Quick Reply: Riding boot question