F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Replacing Rear Tail plastic INFO

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Rear Tail plastic INFO

My rear cowl tail piece is completely cracked on the left side and cracked on the right. Underneath the driver/rider seat there is a bolt on each side underneath the seat, this is where it is busted at. Also adoubt midway point of the passanger seat there is a crick on the right side up top. So these are my reasons for wanting to replace this piece of crap. Now these pieces were broken/cracked before i bought the bike but i guess it has gotten worse over time. the new ones are 450 new so i am of course trying to get one used. here are my questions

1. How easy/hard is it to replace this piece? from what i can tell i just remove the seats and there is a4-6 bolts then it comes off via up? or is there more involved?

2. are the non-oem pieces any good there is a "cheetah" brand on ebay for like 150 is it crap?

3. are the rr and the f4i the same tail section? and are my choices in years limited to 01-03 (i have an 01)

So there is no confusion this is the piece i am talking about. thanks in advance for your help guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CBR-6...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 07-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Replacing Rear Tail plastic INFO

hey mang...there are 2 bolts up front the ones that cracked your fairing, 2 holding the front seat on, the rear seat and then the 2 frankenstein bolts in the rear...that's it.

it's easy to put on...but just know it may feel like you're going to break it but you're not. you have to get it over the recifier on the clutch lever side and over the fuses on the brake side.

as far as replacements, fiberglass like cheetah, etc. are lighter, cheaper, etc...but they dont' crash well...so if you do go down, the fiberglass may break off rather than crack or get rubbed a bit like stock.

to stop that annoying crotch crack, the cowl needs support against the tank...so glue like some rubber or spong pieces there.

t

Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 PM

I am currently deployed to iraq, so i cant exactly go look so please bare with me (im trying to get evertying ordered and such for when i get back fix her up and ride).

Now on the cheetah parts, is fitment an issue or do they fit fine?

also i know the frankenstien bolts you are refering to how do they come off?

"to stop that annoying crotch crack, the cowl needs support against the tank"
I semi understand what your saying here but what about pics?

"recifier on the clutch lever side and over the fuses on the brake side."
wtf is a recifier?

Old 07-07-2006, 05:14 PM

I have the exact problem that you have with the cracks on each side. WTF causes this...Did someone screw the bolts in too tight?

I took mine off and it was very easy but like Tahoe said, it feels like you are going to breat it. I unhooked the fuses on the brake side to make it a bit easier.

As for the recifier..I have no idea what that is?????

Old 07-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rectifier is the shiny metal box that looks like a car amp located on the clutch lever side of the bike. you'll never see it unless you take off your tail.

it converts AC to DC or vice versa...etc...so it takes charge from the alternator and then feeds it to the battery...

anyway, i don't have any pix. the stress cracks aren't from the bolts being too tight, but rather, the pressure from rider input where you throw you weight back and forth...the very front top of the tail is bent and hits the tank...

Old 07-07-2006, 08:20 PM

i'm a victim of the infamous crotch crack on 1 side; i just took the bolt screw it

Old 07-08-2006, 05:58 PM

so if this is a comon problem. what is a good fix, i know tahoe was saying put rubber inbetween there but where exactly?"

Old 07-08-2006, 07:08 PM

http://www.ronayers.com/plastics/year.cfm?bike=4&make=1

check this out - I got a lot of new plastics from this site they are all new OEM parts and I think they are very good prices for new !!!

just pick year and color

Old 07-08-2006, 07:09 PM

BTW thanks for your service !!!

Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM

thanks ozmacthere asking

Part Number: 77210-MBW-A10ZC
Description: COWL, RR. (TYPE3)
Source: HONDA
Price: $346.66

which i guess isnt to bad and its already painted, but my problem is the bike has been repainted solid black so kind of a waste to get somthing new and already painted when i have to paint over it again. You have dealt with them before though? everything was good?

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear Tail plastic INFO