F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

removing gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default removing gas tank

The service manual says that I need to lift the fuel tank to get to the air-box and spark plugs. Do I have drain the gas or anything? or just the tank just come off like a jug (similar to the 250 Ninja)?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is four bolts holding the tank on, 2 in front and 2 in back. Remove the front 2 bolts and loosen the back 2. Get 2 bungee cords and lift the tank up and put the bungee cords on it so it will hold it up in the air. If you want to take the tank off completely remover all four bolts and you will need to clamp the lines shut so gas will not leak out. You should be able to get to the plugs and air filter by just removing front 2 bolts and loosen the back 2.

Attached Thumbnails removing gas tank-me.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 PM

Remove your seat and the two bolts that are underneath for the tank. Remove the two top bolts up by your handlebars. Once thats done get a bungee cord and wrap it around the tail of your bike. Lift your tank up from the front and pivot it towards the back and hook your bungee cord to it. Do not undo any lines from underneath as all your fuel will then subsequently spill out. This will allow you plenty of room to remove your airbox and will make changing your sparkplugs a cinch!!

I changed my sparkplugs a couple weeks ago and I spent more time waiting for the recharge oil on my K&N to dry then I did actually changing the plugs.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 PM

cool. thanx

Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 PM

HA HA cheever we must have been writing at the same time, but you did me one better with your pic since that's exactly what I was talking about!!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:32 AM

wat's amazing is that he had the demo picture on hand.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:10 AM

Sorry for not looking in the manual, but I thought I'd ask this here. Which spark plugs do the F4is use? And do you have to have them special ordered? I live right next to autozone, kragen, and pepboys, and I know for a fact they don't carry motorcycle plugs. (I tried getting some before)

Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 AM

When i changed my plugs I used NGK imr9a-9h. I bought them from Solo Moto Parts, then run about $15 bucks a piece. Here's the link: http://www.solomotoparts.com/product...9&cat=0&page=1 You can google the part number and prob find them a little bit cheaper.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by ID_CBRRider
HA HA cheever we must have been writing at the same time, but you did me one better with your pic since that's exactly what I was talking about!!
LoL, i just looked at the time. Yea, i had a link to that picture cause of changing my FPR recently.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 PM

some guy on ebay, based in AZ, sells 4 of them for $50 out-the-door. that includes shipping, and if ur not in AZ, u dont have to pay state tax.

Originally Posted by Dominate.
Sorry for not looking in the manual, but I thought I'd ask this here. Which spark plugs do the F4is use? And do you have to have them special ordered? I live right next to autozone, kragen, and pepboys, and I know for a fact they don't carry motorcycle plugs. (I tried getting some before)

Quick Reply: removing gas tank