F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remedy?

my fairings were damaged a while ago so im looking for a remedy from someone as to how to fix it and if it's repairable. im also considering paint. i ALREADY searched the forums for this but i only found minor repairs for little cracks and scuffs. so...

i only really have a few options;

1.repair and paint the fairings myself

2.pay a shop to fix and paint them

3. buy some sharskinz or some other aftermarket oem fairings and have them painted

here are the pictures

completely severed
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x97/imokrs/A0144.jpg

fits like a puzzle but the little "rim/tab thingy" is chipped
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x97/imokrs/A0145.jpg

need a REMEDY. thanks in advance

Last edited by k.600f4i; 04-20-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 AM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's repairable, but will take a little skill. If you do it yourself you'll want to do some research on plastic repairing. You'll need things like some fiberglass, bondo or equivalent, etc. I personally don't know everything for sure, I've got a good buddy who does that stuff for me. But it can be done.

Personally I'd give it to a pro (or a friend if you've got one) and have them do it, since in my case they could do a better job faster. But if you're super hands on and want to try it, it can be done.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do a couple things. Try to plastic weld it, do a youtube search. Or fiberglass it. Personally I've never tried to "weld" plastic, but have done my fair share of body work. The cheapest/easiest thing to do is go to your local autoparts store and get a fiberglass repair kit, and READ the directions. If you want step by step directions, pm me.