F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

regulator/rectifier is common problem or no??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regulator/rectifier is common problem or no??

Just wandering is a regulator/rectifier problem common for a 03 F4i??? If so what are the symptoms that it is about to go?

Also can riding at high speeds, say 100 mph or more cause more stress on it? Do high speeds create more current through it or does your speed not really change how hard the regulator/rectifier has to work??
________
Avandia Classaction

Last edited by F4iMane; 09-09-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Default RE: regulator/rectifier is common problem or no??

ive never had any issues with mine but i am having that damn rattle from the cct

Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 PM

i had a problem with it not really working it was a loose connection

Old 08-27-2008, 10:45 PM

to answer your question... yes the regulator/ rectifier is a fairly common problem with F4i's and i can;t really answer your "high speed" question

Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have wondered about the speed question myself. It generates more at high rpms but it also consumes more.

And the answer is YES ... Honda, for all its brilliant sophisticated bikes, makes crappy power generation systems for those bikes. First sign the regulator is going would be chronic low charged battery. If your battery is fairly new and it barely cranks the bike then I'd look into the alternator and regulator. I changed mine (1kRR) with some aftermarket 'high performance' parts and it has made a world of difference.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

I have wondered about the speed question myself. It generates more at high rpms but it also consumes more.

And the answer is YES ... Honda, for all its brilliant sophisticated bikes, makes crappy power generation systems for those bikes. First sign the regulator is going would be chronic low charged battery. If your battery is fairly new and it barely cranks the bike then I'd look into the alternator and regulator. I changed mine (1kRR) with some aftermarket 'high performance' parts and it has made a world of difference.
Interesting, and ya I am still wondering about the high rpms myself
________
AVANDIA CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT

Old 08-28-2008, 10:13 AM
WOT

ORIGINAL: F4iMane

Just wandering is a regulator/rectifier problem common for a 03 F4i??? If so what are the symptoms that it is about to go?

Also can riding at high speeds, say 100 mph or more cause more stress on it? Do high speeds create more current through it or does your speed not really change how hard the regulator/rectifier has to work??
Is there a specific problem with your bike? It's there to regulate the current, it either works or it doesn't regardless of your speed. You can rev your bike and watch your headlight modulate to indicate if it's working or not. The only bike I ever had a bad regulator on was my SV650 that was dropped on the regulator side. It's typical if a bike is dropped to damage it.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: WOT

ORIGINAL: F4iMane

Is there a specific problem with your bike? It's there to regulate the current, it either works or it doesn't regardless of your speed. You can rev your bike and watch your headlight modulate to indicate if it's working or not. The only bike I ever had a bad regulator on was my SV650 that was dropped on the regulator side. It's typical if a bike is dropped to damage it.
What do you mean you can rev the bike and see if the headlight modulates or not? How so?
________
WELLBUTRIN SETTLEMENT UPDATE

Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
WOT

Ever notice your headlight dim when you rev a bike? the reason is the regulator/rectifier is working properly.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever notice your headlight dim when you rev a bike? the reason is the regulator/rectifier is working properly.
That's with the Honda stock alternator and reg/rect ... put on some good aftermarket stuff and the lights won't dim when you're idling. And your battery will last longer.

Quick Reply: regulator/rectifier is common problem or no??