F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Regular Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Oh no! I see an oil filter debate happening....again.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Boost
After filling with Shell Rotella T6, you can see in the window how the level looks right.

wow, reading > me... apoligies, its late out here : |.. better question may be, how much did you end up using?
I also run Shell Rotella T6 also, with an OEM filter. On both my '06 and '01 F4i, I filled to around 3.5 liters.

Just make sure to keep an eye on the fill lines while you are filling up and DON'T overfill. Slow down your pour around 3 liters and you should be fine. Remember a little oil goes into the filter when you first fire up your bike after an oil change.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked

A couple things Mr. Dirt- Removing the fairings is completely un-nessacary on the f4i, including when using the sidestand to change oil. But being the clean freak you seem to be [weird to me as the bike is riding down very dirty roads] removing might be the only option. The other thing is the filters. Paying attention to only the length of the filter is meaningless. What micron the filter media filters down to is important, as is the end cap contruction. All a longer filter is going to do is allow more dirt particles to become stuck in the filter without impeading flow or filtering ability. Seeing as most people change their bike's oil way before it gets really dirty the extra filtering capacity is normally a mute point. Just some food for thought...
I realize that it's not necessary to remove the cowlings from the bike. However in the interest of getting more familiar with this particular model of bike, it helps to take things apart and put my hands on things. This way I know how things are supposed to be when they're operating normally.

As for filters, I'm familiar with all the different aspects that one needs to be aware of with respect to them. The comparison I was making, was that if all things being equal, a greater surface area for filtration is going to last longer, and provide better filtering.

Yes, I'd say I'm a "clean freak" as you put it, but I believe in taking care of my things, particularly expensive things. I find that you can identify problems earlier when they're not all covered with dirt and grease, but that's just me.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice "Dirt", threads like these with proper photos should really be categorized in their own sub forum within their respect generations as I've seen on other sites - it's quite useful.

In regards to oil filters, I had made a thread recently about the subject. It contains a list of suggested good and bad filters, which I originally obtained from the Honda Shadow forum from their "Oilology" thread which was quite thorough.
Oil Filter List