F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Recommended Tire Pressures ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Tire Pressures ?

i had the bike for 2 months and noticed the rear end felt unstable when i cornered at lower speeds. Checked the try pressure and the rear was only 34. The bike spec recomends 42 rear, 36 front and have changing to that, it rides a whole lot better.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM

yup thats what i have mine at. check it every weekend to see how fast it will drop. that way you know if you have a leak or not

Old 10-15-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by lanest
i had the bike for 2 months and noticed the rear end felt unstable when i cornered at lower speeds. Checked the try pressure and the rear was only 34. The bike spec recomends 42 rear, 36 front and have changing to that, it rides a whole lot better.

That pressure is for riding 2-up

Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I checked my rear last weekend and it was 27.5. No wonder it was riding like crud. I never internalized the whole pre-ride check, so I wish there were a dash light that could let me know when my pressure is low.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

I run 38 rear and have no issues. Stilll likes to lean over with very little pressure but doesn't wiggle around.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Muppet of the month August 2012 ROTM

every tire will have a different recommendation for pressure. Check with the manufacturer website.

example my tire are DOT race are require low pressure 21 rear and 30 front.

I ran bridge stones and they were similar, pilot powers are nt far off that either maybe 27 rear and 32 front.

remember if you put in 42 cold your pressure after a little bit of riding will be about 51 give or take.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM

running lower or higher pressure than what is recommended will decrease your tire life, i run cold 36,42 bridgestone s-20's and they grip great.
i imagine if i were to go further i would decrease the rear tire pressure only, but then i think i'd be running some bridgestone r-10's with tire warmers hopefully.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UalRamper
every tire will have a different recommendation for pressure. Check with the manufacturer website.

example my tire are DOT race are require low pressure 21 rear and 30 front.

I ran bridge stones and they were similar, pilot powers are nt far off that either maybe 27 rear and 32 front.

remember if you put in 42 cold your pressure after a little bit of riding will be about 51 give or take.
Yep, this here. All tires have different recommended pressures based on their construction, same with car tires. You can't go with the recommended psi on the vehicle because it's assuming stock tires.
Hell, my car recommends like 32psi but the new tire manufacturer recommends 52psi. Huge difference that you can feel.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Where are you guys finding the tire pressure that the manufacturer recommends? Please tell me you aren't going by what is on the sidewall.

I've never heard of people putting in air pressure this way an I've been around vehicles for 35+ years.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:26 PM

i have never seen that 36/42 is for 2 up riding on a f4i.
if anyone has information stating an average/any/sport tire for average/sport riding is not supposed to be inflated to what honda says please by all means provide some info.
this is taken from bridgestones tips

Always keep the motorcycle manufacturer's recommended air pressure in both tires. This is an important requirement for tire safety and mileage. Your motorcycle owner’s manual will tell you the recommended cold inflation pressure. On some motorcycles, the recommended front and rear tire pressures will be different. The pressures stamped on the sidewall of the tire are only for maximum loads. On some occasions, these pressures will also be the manufacturers recommended settings as well.
Riding on tires with too little air pressure is dangerous. The tires will build excessive heat. This can cause a sudden tire failure that could lead to serious personal injury or death.
Underinflation may also:
  1. Damage the tire leading to tire failure
  2. Adversely affect vehicle cornering
  3. Reduce tire life
  4. Increase fuel consumption
  5. Fatigue cracking
Riding on tires with too much air can be dangerous. The tires are more likely to be cut, punctured, or broken by sudden impact. Serious personal injury or death could result. Do not exceed the pressure indicated on the tire sidewall. Consult your owner’s manual for the recommended inflation and other tire none.
Never inflate a tire unless it is secured to the motorcycle or a tire-mounting machine. Inflating an unsecured tire is dangerous. If it bursts, it could be hurled into the air with explosive force resulting in serious personal injury or death.

And this is page 134 from the owners manual

The recommended "cold" tire pressures
are:
front 36 psi (250 kPa ,
2,50 kgf/cm2)
rear 42 psi (290 kPa,
2,90 kqf/cm'?)

Last edited by RudyGT; 10-19-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommended Tire Pressures ?