F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

recent accident, what will total a bike from insurance?? **pics added

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recent accident, what will total a bike from insurance?? **pics added

A van pulled out in front of me. His fault 100%. I hit the breaks hard, and my girlfriend flew head first into the van. My leg is seriously F'ed up, her neck has minor tears. We are ok, and healing now.
The tail section of my bike is split where the decal is, 600F4i. Also the left mirror snapped off. Other scratches etc. Would this total my bike from insurance. I don't trust the bike anymore after a head on collision with a 3500 Chevy Van. The bike hit going about 25-30 head on. I would figure after replacing the plastics, and paint etc, that it would cost about 2500 up. What are your thoughts??? I know this thread is worthless without pics...but I dont have any right now...

** just added pics...there is other small things that are messed up on the other side as well. break pedal etc...after seeing the bike I have no clue how I hit the back of the van head on. There is no major damage to the front. I think I must have done a stoppie/endo and hit the van on the left side. Either way it was stars when I hit.

Thanks-

Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Default RE: recent accident, what will total a bike from insurance??

If you want to spend the money I would get the forks checked and the frame at the very least. If insurance will write it off I would just get another bike that hasn't been smashed (if you don't want to dealwith fixing yours). For a Tbone you and your bike are super lucky.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM

Yea, That's what everyone has been saying. My girl and I are both lucky to be alive right now with the injuries that we have. I am worried about the forks and frame, and why I don't want to ride the bike anymore. I have some aftermarket parts on the bike also, do you think that I'll be able to get money from the insurance company for the parts also, without receipts, if I can prove the value?

I really want them to total the bike....don't feel safe on it. Hate saying this, but if they offer a buy back, I'll do it, and sell the bike being as honest as possible to the next buyer.

** wouldn't his insurance company be liable to pay for fork inspection, and to get the frame and whole bike checked over??

Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 AM

I had my bike parked on the street, and some vehicle backed up into it and knocked it up ON to the curb.

I wasn't around when this happened, and came out hours later to find my bike rashed up and all sorts of nasty stuff. It was a hit and run.

I took it to a dealer luckily I could still ride it even with the bent brake lever, and they checked it over and I called insurance. THey sent someone down to inspect it.

Do you have full coverage? Phone them up and they should get someone to look the bike over. It sounds like from what you mentioned that they could classify it as totaled, and you can then start from there.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:39 AM

Yea... um.. the problem is that I only have liability insurance on it. I'm counting on my lawyer, and his insurance to classify it as "totaled". Liability was $150 for the year, and full coverage was $1500, LOL!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 AM

Do you know if the accident report puts you or the other driver at fault?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Van pulled in front - van at fault.

It is totaled. A new bike with damaged plastics and scratches on the frame is totaled. When someone else is paying to fix the bike back to condition it was, they replace any and every piece with new Honda parts. That adds up VERY VERY quickly. Plastics are hundreds... tank is hundreds, forks are hundreds, frame is +++ money. From the sounds of the crash - the bike is totaled. Very little doubt in my mind. The cosmetic damage alone will almost always total a bike.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

heh i feel really sorry for you but i laughed really hard when you said "my girlfriend flew head first into the van." I have this visual image of her "flying" like super woman.

i'm glad you are ok but i guess wording it differently would have made me not laugh.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:51 PM

dun daaa daa daaaa...queue super woman music.... naw man... she really flew head first into the van just like "super woman".

Old 08-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

we want pix of this girl in the hospital so she's ok

Quick Reply: recent accident, what will total a bike from insurance?? **pics added