F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

rear tire slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear tire slipping?

So today I went out to an area I have by me that has a lot of 15-30 mph corners for 1mi signs. Well when I really got into it and pushing more on the inside peg it felt to me like the rear tire was gonna kick out and I was going to lowside. Is that just a sensation that happens when you turn hard, or doesn't anyone else get that? The roads are smooth and I find it hard to believe that every time I tried to turn hard there was a little bit of gravel or something. I have about 1200 miles on my stock tires so they should be broken in. Maybe I was leaning hard enough to have the chicken strips on the road and that part is still slippery being brand new on the sides there? I would like to get through those curves a little quicker but every time I pushed it hard I was afraid of wrecking. =(

Mike

Old 07-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Default RE: rear tire slipping?

were your tires warmed up proper?
set to the proper psi?

Old 07-27-2006, 02:23 AM

well it could be a lot of things, how old are your tires? check on the date manufacture date printed on the tire, even if it has plenty of rubber left but the date is old that could be it.next make sure you compressing and rebound are set at stock setting to start with, it can be adjusted from there one way or the other.. it may be that the rebound is ether to harsh or too soft, that alone can do it. check to see if the rear spring is set for your weight.but it reall sounds to me like the rear rebound is too harsh.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 AM

might be plenty of things

- Type of tire
- Suspension
- Tire pressure
- Your body position

Old 07-27-2006, 12:18 PM

Type of tire are the Dunlop stock tires that go on there. I guess I warmed them properly I rode through there once then came back through again I rode for about 45minutes before I even got to that spot. I'm not really sure how to officially warm tires either I guess. PSI was at what the sticker on the bike says to be at 36/42??? I have no idea what you are talking about by changing compressions and stuff like that or how to change the spring in the back. lol I looked it up and someone posted a link to another website explaining it but it was all WAY beyond me and I don't want to mess with it because it seems way too confusing. Every setting on my bike is stock. I'm about 230lbs right now and I think someone said they have their rear set to 7 whatever that means. I saw numbers on the rear spring but no idea how to change it and didn't want to try and end up messing something up or breaking something. =( Body position I was finally trying to actually lean off the bike you know how the pros do it? lol It was when I did this that I felt the tire slide, or so it seemed. I really was getting down hard on that inside peg and pulling her around the corner. It would have been fun if I didn't feel like I was going to slide across the road into a guard rail or down the hill into the forest! hahaha

Mike

Old 07-27-2006, 02:09 PM

when I got my bike it had some old dunslops on it. They had good tread, but they were just really old. I felt like the bike was on an ice rink most of the time, even if the tires were warm. I got rid of them and went to to the pilot powers and WOW what a difference.

Old 07-27-2006, 03:01 PM

Ejohn, how do I check the rear rebound? And what is a rear rebound? Is there any site out there anyone knows of that will explain this in VERY simple terms? Like suspension for retards.com or something? I want to go around corners FAST. Maybe I'm just too fat and I'll never be able to? Whoever made the post with the topic "why are bikes made to accomodate the tall?" was on crack! lol

Mike

Old 07-28-2006, 02:37 AM

the rebound adjustment is located on the botton of the rear shock. if you have it set at stock setting then just take a flat headed screw driver and turn the screw in about 1/8 turn then go out and ride to see if this helps. it should. i would also turn the compression in to right about 1/8 turn but after you take it for a ride so you can see if this makes it even more better.if you are worried about screwing it up just take a majic marker and mark the original setting so you can all ways come back if you need.the compression canester is located on the left side of the bike under your left leg when your setting on the bike.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this issue on the street and it kept me from learning to handle the bike. I felt it at first on the track but then it magically disappeared after a couple times around. However, It could have been carcass roll. On the street I ran stock 36/42. On the track I ran around 30/34. The tire can more more, but I guess the heat took care of that. Oh, that's on the D208s. Stable as a rock, not brand new, even a bit of front tire cupping. The bike was on rails. I'm 205lbs. Front suspension set to stock. I'll have to recheck the rear and let you know. PM me if you want.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:47 PM

Ok I'll try hardening the rebound today after work and ride and then after that try the compression too. Should I go out and buy a spanner tool thing to harden the spring too?

Mike

Quick Reply: rear tire slipping?