F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rear tire installed backwards???????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire installed backwards???????????

what are the effects of riding with the rear tire installed backwards?????? Its a Pirelli Diablo if that matters.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhh,,do you know the person who installed it backwards? Hopefully it's not on your bike.

I would imagine water channeling would be the biggest issue if you get caught in the rain. Not something i would want to risk my life to find out either...

Even racing slicks have a directional arrow....

Last edited by Sick97SS; 07-08-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It makes a difference. It's totally doable, but I agree, water could mean death.

I'd take it to the shop and make them remount it.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM

It could wear fast in the middle but that's a complete guess, id say as said above the main issue is riding in the water having the opposite effect it is meant to do. So every puddle you hit your almost guaranteed to hydroplane.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I just wanted some thoughts before I told the rest. Yes a Honda dealership installed it a couple months ago. I checked the air but never checked anything else. 1800 miles later = i can see metal up the middle. I dont really commute on my bike and the other day my buddy that does sales at the dealership and I were riding and talked about a new rear and he couldnt believe how fast it wore out. I just talked to him today and he said he would take care of it and see what he could do as far as a new set of tires. I think im gonna go with the Pilot Road 2's unless someone has a better suggestion. I just got the bike last summer and have put on about 5k miles on mostly winding roads but im not super fast in the corners yet. Ive grabbed peg a couple times which scared the **** out of me but dont think i need a super soft tire just yet. I try not to ride in the rain so that isnt really a factor.

THOUGHTS????????

Old 07-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by nightfox
I just wanted some thoughts before I told the rest. Yes a Honda dealership installed it a couple months ago. I checked the air but never checked anything else. 1800 miles later = i can see metal up the middle.
THOUGHTS????????
I called that lol.. But honestly if your not a real aggressive rider like myself there is really no need for sticky tires because your not going to get full use out of them and before you know it, they are bald. Id just stick with a decent sport tire.. Ive never heard of the one you spoke of, but just look around check out some reviews. I went with shinko's NOT at all amazing but they do well, and should last a while.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 PM

I have a set of Pilot Powers on my f4i and love them.. I got the cheaper of the 2. I didn't get the 2ct set. They stick and corner really well. I also have had Dunlop qualifiers on my F4 and liked them as well. Check with the dealer to see what they have deals on. Expect to pay roughly around 250-300 for a good set of tires (or big discount because they screwed up your last ones). Remember you get what you pay for.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:38 PM

dealership wont give me any deal on a new tire. The only thing they will do is install my next one for free. Is this BS or is it just me. They said there are too many factors that could cause the tire to wear through to the cords in less than 1800 miles. I checked the air and it was at 40, i have never wheelied this thing or burnt out with it. Any advice? What should i have expected from this tire from riding country roads?? 3-4k? are there any actions i could take against the dealership that i bought the tire from and installed the tire backwards???

Old 07-10-2009, 02:40 PM

also my buddy that does sales at the dealership wheelies all the time, does a few doughnuts almost every time we ride and has a 1000rr and gets 3500 from his rears(corsa 3).

Old 07-11-2009, 02:15 PM

Yea you should have gotten alot more miles that than on no matter what type of riding you do. But the only thing is you did do 1800 miles which anything could have happened in that time to their defense. Id say your sol, but just take this as a lesson anytime work is done on your bike be sure to check it out in detail to make sure it was done properly.

Im not saying you were in the wrong, im just stating the facts. I myself have been in the same boat but on a car... in no time my tires were bald as **** on one side and I had no idea why. No refund, no free tires... just hate to bite it and get new.

Quick Reply: Rear tire installed backwards???????????