F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

rear tire and chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear tire and chain

i just got my wheel balanced at my cycle shop and went to put it on my 2006 f4i i put the axel through no problem and got the rotor into the brake pads. when i tried to put the chain on and tighten it the chain got tighter and i made sure both sides where even but the chain seems to hit the swingarm where the chain gard is. how do i fix this problem??????

thanks

chris

Old 04-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Default RE: rear tire and chain

It sounds like your chain is 1 link too long (new chain) or stratched out (old chain). Did you changed your sprockets and chain as well. Or have you not inspected your chain in a while and perhaps it was already touching the chain gaurd and you did not notice? If it's a new chain, i would cut a link. If its and old chain, it sounds like you need a new chain and sprocket set. If it is an old chain, how many miles do you have on it?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 AM

Yea mine does the same thing but im guessing its normal. I think once your sitting on it doesnt hit the chain guard anymore since theres no tension on the chain right now.

Mine only has 10,300mi so i doubt it needs replacing but who knows.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 AM

its the original chain and sprocket. thebike only has about 5000 miles on it i bought in brand new in 06. the chain seemed fine when i took it off before i changed the tire. it just hits the chain guard when u rotate the wheel.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Make sure you didnt kink any links or anything like that and make sure the chain tension is between 1 and 1 3/8 inch i believe. I set mine to an inch and it still hits the chain guard but it used to do it when i rode so.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:17 AM

is it okay for the chain to hit the guard???? i never noticed it before. i set the chain tensioner but the chain still hits the guard.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:30 PM

Do you have a kink or tight spot in your chain? A poorly treated chain might be kinked with only 5k. Is your Chain guard bent or cracked, loose mounting bolt?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 AM

I think he is referring to the part that is ontop of the swing arm it self, it's a block of plastic or something that looks designed to have the chain ride on it somewhat. To keep chain from slappin the swing arm. I noticed it on mine and thought it was normal. I'm pretty sure he isn't talkin about the top gaurd with the stickers on it.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:10 PM

which way are you turning the tire when you rotate it? remember when you are actually riding the bike, the tension is on the top of the chain, keeping it off the swingarm.

if you are rotating the tire by hand, you have to turn the wheel backward(as if backing the bike) to keep the top of the chain tensioned.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Ruftags

I think he is referring to the part that is ontop of the swing arm it self, it's a block of plastic or something that looks designed to have the chain ride on it somewhat. To keep chain from slappin the swing arm. I noticed it on mine and thought it was normal. I'm pretty sure he isn't talkin about the top gaurd with the stickers on it.
Wow, if OP means the chain is barely touching the plastic block on top of the swingarm, then that chain would be too tight. The chain mainly just lays on that block when parked.

Quick Reply: rear tire and chain