F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

rear stand question???????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear stand question???????????

i finally have to change my rear tire. i bought the rear tire but want to take the rear wheel off myself and then take the rim and tire to my dealer and have them take the tire off the rim. i was looking into rear stands so i could take the tire off. any suggestions on a certain brand????????????? or what i should get.

thanks

Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Default RE: rear stand question???????????

Here is a DMP S-Spec stand...

http://www.riverwayracing.com/store/...f2a88ec992ea52

I have also used Handy Stands....they are good too.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 PM

youll need one withough spools. i have pit bull stands but i have spools on mine. they are so much better than the standard l bracket stands.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 PM

Pitbull hands down.

My pitbull is setup for spools or standard bikes(aka no spools).
Look around for them you can find good deals on them..I got mine slightly used(front and rear -with the pin lift extention) for 180.00 for both.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:37 PM

or check out http://www.t-rex-racing.com/, very cheap and very nice quality

Last edited by axsys; 12-18-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:12 PM

what is a spool????????????

Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 PM

If you want top of the line, get pit bull. Hands down. However I took a different route to save a few dollars. I got my set at Steel Horse Fabrication (http://www.steelhorsefab.com/store/index.php) Personally I love them. They've worked perfectly for me so far, and I've had my bike up on them in my garage since October, and I feel completely safe with it on the stands.

Because you have an F4i, for some reason they decided that F4i owners would not need. A swingarm spool is a small little roller (spool if you will) that aids in the use of a rear swingarm stand on most bikes. Because the F4i is without these holes, you must find a stand with pads/feet instead of spool acceptors, or as an alternative, you can have some welded on, or tapped into your swingarm (although I wouldn't really recommend either of those).

Here is what swingarm spools look like.

sorry about the size

You will need a stand more like one of these if you don't wish to modify your swingarm to accept spools:
http://www.pit-bull.com/Merchant2/me...orcycle_stands
http://steelhorsefab.com/store/produ...;products_id=6

Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 PM

i have the drill and tap ones. they are pretty sweet. although i have to take the spool out when riding so my can doesnt hit it. if you want spools taping the swing arm is pretty good but others have different thoughts about it.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 AM

ORIGINAL: sluijs01

Because you have an F4i, for some reason they decided that F4i owners would not need. A swingarm spool is a small little roller (spool if you will) that aids in the use of a rear swingarm stand on most bikes. Because the F4i is without these holes, you must find a stand with pads/feet instead of spool acceptors, or as an alternative, you can have some welded on, or tapped into your swingarm (although I wouldn't really recommend either of those).

Do you know of any problems with the Pit Bull Spool Adaptors that weld underneath the swing arm? I have them and so far, so good.

I've used Pit Bull and T-rex. T-rex are about $80 less on ebay. They are slightly less "solid", they are two piece and made of a thinner tubing, but overall seem satisfactory. Both T-rex and Pit Bull make a reversible stand with a rubberized peg for underarm use and a notch for spool use. Spools are better, hands down. Not only are they more secure, they also can work as swingarm sliders to protect your exhaust and swingarm in a fall. Finally the rubberized pegs can slip and slide, tearing the vinyl, which will have to be replaced.

Anybody else have trouble with the Pit bull front steering tube stand?

Old 03-14-2008, 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Sonomajay
Do you know of any problems with the Pit Bull Spool Adaptors that weld underneath the swing arm? I have them and so far, so good.

I've used Pit Bull and T-rex. T-rex are about $80 less on ebay. They are slightly less "solid", they are two piece and made of a thinner tubing, but overall seem satisfactory. Both T-rex and Pit Bull make a reversible stand with a rubberized peg for underarm use and a notch for spool use. Spools are better, hands down. Not only are they more secure, they also can work as swingarm sliders to protect your exhaust and swingarm in a fall. Finally the rubberized pegs can slip and slide, tearing the vinyl, which will have to be replaced.

Anybody else have trouble with the Pit bull front steering tube stand?
Honestly, from what I've read and people I've talked to, I've never come across anyone who said that their welded swing arm spools have failed. And they shouldn't. IMO the only time that it would fail, would be if the weld was not good. I should clarify. When I said
ORIGINAL: sluijs01
Because the F4i is without these holes, you must find a stand with pads/feet instead of spool acceptors, or as an alternative, you can have some welded on, or tapped into your swingarm (although I wouldn't really recommend either of those).
the only reason I said that is simply because I don't know how to weld, so I have no appreciation for how strong a connection there would be on a weld that small. It would be unfair for me to judge how well welded swingarm spools are on an F4i, because I know very little about welding. If it is a good weld and the bike's weight can be held by it, I would condone the spools over the pads because it seems as though it would be easier to lift the bike up when it is on spools. I havent encountered my pads tearing up the vinyl on my swingarm, but I have a different brand stand, and I also haven't had the stands for more than 6 months or so, so time will tell on that one.

Quick Reply: rear stand question???????????