F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rear Set Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Set Suggestions

Just got back from Deal's Gap this weekend. First off awesome road. Only problem is I scraped my rear sets on the ground a bunch of times. Once I did it so hard it shot me into the other lane with on coming traffic (NOT COOL!). I managed to avoid a major catastrophe, actually the on coming car managed to avoid me. Ive been told this is a pretty common problem with F4i's and I should look into some new rear sets. Im looking for suggestions on which brand to get. Im all ears.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear Set Suggestions

Get you butt off the seat lol. Seriously, learn how to lean off the bike and drag a knee. Rear sets are expensive, but if you want a cheaper solution try these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Riser...spagenameZWDVW and someone here even made thier own.

Glad you ddint get bit up there. I love that road.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 AM

Anyone here used those things? It's a great idea, and i also need some rearsets b/c of my long legs, but i don't want to skimp out and use a cheap piece that might end up breaking and causing more problems. I don't really want to spend the $$$ for rearsets, and i don't absolutely have to have any, but it would be more comfortable if i did just for daily riding.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:24 AM

the riser plates are good for ground clearance but rearsets have several other benefits. They are much stronger and replacement parts are easily available for Woodcraft and Vortex. The pegs are solid mount for crash protection and they are designed to grip your boots a hell of a lot better than the crappy stock pegs.

I'd go with Woodcraft rearsets, Vortex are good but they're not designed for street use.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 PM

woodcrafts mang!

but before investing in them...there are some issues you need to resolve...
1. your body positioning...if you scraped pegs before dragging knee, you position is way off.
2. suspension...soft suspension decreases the amount of lean you have and will also make you go wide on turns.
3. stop riding like a nut in public roads. you got lucky the car avoided you...and luck doesn't always come everytime you need saving...

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

Get you butt off the seat lol. Seriously, learn how to lean off the bike and drag a knee. Rear sets are expensive, but if you want a cheaper solution try these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Riser...spagenameZWDVW and someone here even made thier own.

Glad you ddint get bit up there. I love that road.
Thanks for the suggestion! Risers are definetely cheaper. The second day there I did start trying to hang off the side. I didnt scrap the sets so something must have improved. That position just feels so foreign to me but Im working on getting there.

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

woodcrafts mang!

but before investing in them...there are some issues you need to resolve...
1. your body positioning...if you scraped pegs before dragging knee, you position is way off.
2. suspension...soft suspension decreases the amount of lean you have and will also make you go wide on turns.
3. stop riding like a nut in public roads. you got lucky the car avoided you...and luck doesn't always come everytime you need saving...
1. I know my body position is not where it needs to be but im working on it. Baby steps...
2. Really!!! Im a newbie so this is news to me. Ill try tweeking the settings a little. When I first got the bike the front suspension seemed real hard so I backed it back to stock position.
3. I wasn't riding hard at all. But that was def a reality check. Trust me I said a little "Thank you Lord" prayer after that one!

Can you give me some info on how different suspension settings (front and back) effect the bikes handling?

Old 11-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

Are these rearset brackets approved for track days?

Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 PM

approved? No TD org I know of has any requirements for the rearsets/pegs so it shouldn't be a problem in that respect

Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Banned

thanks wood.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 AM

Mr. Pink,

in general, the F4i's suspension is a bit soft if you're anything over 160 or so. it may be fine for the street but when you start doing spirited rides, you'll see that your suspension starts to force you to go wide while coming out of turns, lost in lean angle available. for instance, when you're turning, and not getting out, all the weight is pushing down the center of the bike. this compresses your suspension, so now you're bike is lower...now add the lean into it...lower bike = less clearance and available lean. so to get rid of this, stiffen up the suspension so it doesn't compress so much. outcome is bike isn't so low and you have more available lean before something starts dragging. now let's throw the weight off to the side instead of being centered over the bike, the bike now needs to lean less to get through the same corner faster. i think this is probably why you weren't scraping when you were getting out of the bike. but the soft rear will compress then catipult you wide out of turns...

Quick Reply: Rear Set Suggestions