F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

rear seat cover install

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear seat cover install

I just received the new rear seat cover for my 01 F4i. Has anyone here bought these (off ebay) and have any tips as to how I should install it. I know it is just a matter of taking the old one off and re-stapling the new one on.

But, do you have any tips, like where to start securing the new seat on (from the front or back, etc) or whether I should use that upholstery spray adhesive? Any tips would help...I plan to do this next weekend.

Sidenote: The color match of the Silver Fiber material is almost spot-on to the F4i silver. I havent seen it in direct sunlight so I dont want to say it is "perfect" just yet...but with the lighting in my underground parking garage it looks amazing. Cant wait.

I will post pics once it is complete.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Awesome, do post the pics- which seller did you buy it from?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 PM

+1 to pics and seller, I'm about to start cosmetic work on mine (minor body work/paint/etc), and wouldn't mind changing up the seats, too.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 PM

Here is the link to the Seat cover

The guy doesnt make them till you buy them, so there are a few days before it is shipped. But he does that because you can get custom colors, etc. He has GREAT communication, and responded to emails very quickly (with in 24 hr usually). The quality is great, good looking stitching and all. I will try to take some before, during recovering, and after pics (if I remember). That way if mine turn out nice I can share the steps I took. The cover does come with instructions as well. I read them and they are good, but I think I might make a few minor changes...but I am basically gonna follow the instructions.

Last edited by Uniqsol; 06-01-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 PM

That's not a bad price at all.

I'm looking forward to the write-up, and of course, the finished product.

Definitely adding that to the list of stuff to get.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:08 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Having a heat gun or hair dryer handy while you work will make the corners a little easier. The heat softens the material and lets it stretch around edges a little better.

Spray adhesive can't hurt, but use light coats so there isn't a real permanent bond. Just enough to hold it is fine.

Don't use any more staples than you have to, especially right away. Start with one side - I started with the biggest side (the one closest to the front of the bike) - attach a couple staples to hold that side down, then stretch it over so it looks good, then attach a couple staples on that side. Continue around until it's shaped the way you like it with only minimal staples holding it down. Then add in the rest for good measure.

Otherwise just be patient.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by Uniqsol
Here is the link to the Seat cover

The guy doesnt make them till you buy them, so there are a few days before it is shipped. But he does that because you can get custom colors, etc. He has GREAT communication, and responded to emails very quickly (with in 24 hr usually). The quality is great, good looking stitching and all. I will try to take some before, during recovering, and after pics (if I remember). That way if mine turn out nice I can share the steps I took. The cover does come with instructions as well. I read them and they are good, but I think I might make a few minor changes...but I am basically gonna follow the instructions.
Oh cool! I was just looking at his auctions- thanks for the feedback Good luck with the install, very curious to see actual pics.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Aken
Having a heat gun or hair dryer handy while you work will make the corners a little easier. The heat softens the material and lets it stretch around edges a little better.

Spray adhesive can't hurt, but use light coats so there isn't a real permanent bond. Just enough to hold it is fine.

Don't use any more staples than you have to, especially right away. Start with one side - I started with the biggest side (the one closest to the front of the bike) - attach a couple staples to hold that side down, then stretch it over so it looks good, then attach a couple staples on that side. Continue around until it's shaped the way you like it with only minimal staples holding it down. Then add in the rest for good measure.

Otherwise just be patient.
Thanks for the tips.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 AM

I couldn't get a staple gun in the front part of seat so I used upholstery tacks where the gun couldn't go. Just heat it up and pull it tight.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad this topic came up. Did you replace the foam?

Quick Reply: rear seat cover install