F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rear light issue...

Old 12-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear light issue...

Problem = Tailight steadily staying on
Attempt to fix = re crimping/examining the tailight wiring.

Well after some thorough reading from what I understand is if the left side and the right side of the tailight light up along with the turn signals it is wired correctly.

Would the only thing left to be wrong be the brake switches for the front and rear?!?!?!

There is a 2 wires coming up from where the ECU/Batterty are is that are sort of alarming since they are the same colors as the wiring going to the rear tailight. It is a 2 prong clip going to absolutely nothing. I'm not sure where to start with this as its only my second week owning this bike with little to no experience in the past.

Heres some pictures of the wiring harness, and unknown clip.

Last edited by Doughboy63; 12-26-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the "service" plug that you use to diagnose the FI light. I'm willing to bet you need to adjust the actuators at the brake handle and/or pedal. I adjusted mine so that the light comes on before the brake pads catch, so I can let those idiot cagers know I'm about to stop. I usually let the engine slow my bike some instead of all brakes and pull the handle just a lil bit to get the light on.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Thats the "service" plug that you use to diagnose the FI light. I'm willing to bet you need to adjust the actuators at the brake handle and/or pedal. I adjusted mine so that the light comes on before the brake pads catch, so I can let those idiot cagers know I'm about to stop. I usually let the engine slow my bike some instead of all brakes and pull the handle just a lil bit to get the light on.
Ok I'll give that a go. I'm not quite sure if I know which screws I'm supposed to be backing out though. I won't take any drastic measures though. Ez does it... I'll let you guys know what happens.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, just jump on and let us know if you have any questions. That sounds like it's the issue.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Well I checked and I am getting the click from the actuator at the front brake lever which is a good sign, but for the rear it was kind of interesting...

It doesn't seem like there is a brake sensor. I know the bike has aftermarket rearsets.. I looked around and found a sensor just chilling... Nothing connected to it as seen below in the pictures. I also took pictures of the rearsets showing that there is no spring other than the one that is connected from the pedal to the rearset which acts just as a support...

Does that sensor clip have anything to do with this problem?

Green/yellow and a solid white wire...

Front side of the rearset

Rear side of the rearset

The only spring on the rearbrake.... (you can see it through the hole)

Old 12-27-2009, 08:25 PM

Well all signs are pointing to this being me not having a Brake sensor/relay in the rear. After all the reading I did on here and the similar things alot of you have experienced thats what I gathered.

I purchased a used one from ebay so hopefully this solves my problem. Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM

I hate to ressurect my own thread but the sensor I purchased did not work as planned. It plugs right in and I ziptied it up to the rearset and I'm getting nothing...

What else could possibly keeping this light on!?! I've ran through the wiring and purchased the rear brake sensor from an 02 F4i. The wires are Blk/Blk running to a green/brown wires on the bikes harness. I wonder if this could be conflicting??

Any takers?? I really want a brakelight.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:13 AM
July 2010 ROTM

is it by chance a led aftermarket one? if it is i cant offer any help, mines doing the same thing, but the company is sending me a replacement one so im gonna see if that works. hopefully someone on here might have an idea

Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by vangill
is it by chance a led aftermarket one? if it is i cant offer any help, mines doing the same thing, but the company is sending me a replacement one so im gonna see if that works. hopefully someone on here might have an idea
Yeah it is in fact the LED setup. Let me know if yours works after the replacement. Im kinda over it haha... I know I need a brake light though.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 AM
July 2010 ROTM

it should be in this weekend so ill keep you posted. i also got a stock one too i need to throw on to see if it works. lol i bought the bike wrecked and thought the led integrated one looked better so i never even used the stock light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear light issue...