F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rear caliper....? **UPDATED**

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear caliper....? **UPDATED**

So I pulled a noob move and pushed the caliper piston all the way when the pads weren't in, and now its stuck. F me.

To my knowledge its not fixable...hopefully someone can correct me?

They have one at the local shop...$240. It includes everything but the pads, (caliper, bracket, all bolts, etc).

Are the calipers from the 600rr's interchangeable? Whats the best route to take?

Old 08-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Default RE: Rear caliper....?

You mean that you pushed on the rear brakes without anything between the calipers? I did this but i had the brake pads still in, and i just took a flathead to the little space between the pads and pushed the pistons out. And everything is working fine. Hopefully your problem is the same and not worse.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:55 AM

Yessir the pads were out, and the piston went all the way..which usually means it will not go back in. This was the first time doing the brakes on my f4i, but I've done them on countless other cars/trucks and such. I even put the caliper in a freaking vice and the piston would NOT go back in. Gay all day!!

I found a used caliper online for $99- http://www.gdlcycles.com/asp1/modeta...BR%20600%20F4i

Old 08-10-2008, 08:26 AM

are you sure. the piston comes out for dissassembly, there are other seals etc. behind it. i cant seem to workout how to post a pdf. I have a copy of the page from the workshop manual. PM me and i will send it to you.

have you tried disconnecting the banjo bolt from the brake line at the master cylinder and pushing it in. Because it is a closed system, there needs to be some release for the fluid or the piston wont compress.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 AM

Yes well I had the caliper completely disconnected from the lines, and off the bike entirely.

How else would the piston get stuck? After I tried the traditional C-clamp, I went for the VICE and it didn't even budge!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one I will let go for way less than $240 lol. But yours is very fixable.

Name:  rear_brake_caliper.gif
Views: 22
Size:  26.1 KB

Old 08-10-2008, 10:12 AM

you can find them used on ebay all the time....

Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Sorry, not sure what could be stopping it. maybe disconnect the hose from the caliper and try??? sorry dont know that much about them. I will have alook in the clymer manual later in the week, as manual is at a factory unit see if there is anything there. I have an electronic copy of the workshop manual, but it doesnt have alot of detail. maybe see if you can actually remove the piston and the seals etc.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:25 AM

Both sides pop off its a multi piece assembly. It is almost impossible to get the thing stuck. Also C clamps suck get a real piston decompression. I learned the hard way years ago. And you can get a new rear caliper for less then 80 bucks on ebay!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 AM

from workshop manual

Quick Reply: Rear caliper....? **UPDATED**