F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rear brake lever ..... Slippery!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake lever ..... Slippery!

Does anyone else feel that a rubber "pad" on-top of the rear brake lever would be a beneficial item to have? I have noticed that it seems to be a bit "slippery" and was thinking that a rubber pad similar to the front foot-pegs would be a nice addition to help eliminate this condition. This leads me to asking..... are there any aftermarket companies out there that offer such a thing(rubber pad for rear brake pedal) or what have others done for a "mod" who also experience this...??

Thanks,
-John

Old 08-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Default RE: Rear brake lever ..... Slippery!

sorry but the best thing for you to learn is not to use it, unless you want to have your bike come out from under you.thats why there is such big brake rotors in the front and that tiny single rotor in the back.the only time i ever use my back brake is maybe coming down a hill on a non- slanted road in the rain where i don't want the front to have to brake loose. the reason i do it then is because if the back breaks loose i can recover but if the front brakes loose i will low side.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:44 AM

I agree with ejohn to a point, but learning good rear brake control is very beneficial to you. I have read and applied some great tips on rear braking from some great sources. Those sources even noting pro racers that when having foot problems have relocated a rear brake control to the handlebars.

But as for your question, are you sure it is the lever and not your shoe? I didn't have the problem with my stock rear sets or my Vortex ones.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:13 AM

yeah but do you really understand how much braking you have already just from your engine? if you are riding agressively coming into a corner at a high rate of speed in a lower gear you are already about at the break away point of your rear tires and you are going to tell me your going to add more breaking to the rear. do you know what you are saying ? highside man.the best thing for sportbike rider as far as this is conserned is forget that he has a rear break and learn how to use the front and not be afraid of it.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:34 AM

I won't get in to a debate about it, because depending on who you listen to from the pros, it could go either way.

Nick Ienatsch supports using one and cites Mick Doohan, a 5 time 500GP world champion as usingone and having Honda develop a thumb brake for him when his ankle was immobilized. Kieth Code, in Twist of the Wrist, does not support them.

It all comes down to proper riding. Anyone can go fast, but stopping is another story. Proper braking and knowing your suspension are very important. Many racers use the rear brake to gently scrub off speed through corners.

The rear brake is to be used gently, not jammed. Once you apply the front brakes, you begin to unload the rear suspension and too much braking will lock that tire up and could cause you to highside.

But as for your question, if you set yourself up for the corner properly, you could use the rear brake to scrub speed off. This comes with practice. It is not some thing a noob should be doing. The brake and throttle are very integral in the positioning of your bike in a corner.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: jimd2p
But as for your question, are you sure it is the lever and not your shoe? I didn't have the problem with my stock rear sets or my Vortex ones.
Hi Jim,
This very well may be the case( new Joe Rocket Orbit riding boots) but I'm not willing to give them up so I was looking for alternatives.

Thanks,
-John

Old 08-14-2006, 10:15 AM

I think you just need to modify your technique. The ribs on the lever are pretty substantial. Try adjusting your lever to the lowest position possible. This will prevent you from putting too much pressure on it. I have never been able ot apply enough pressure to my rear brake to have my foot slip off without locking the rear.

One last possibility is that your lever may be bent.

I do use my rear brake when I am riding agressively in the twisties. I use it to settle the chassis before turn in. Just keep in the back of your mind that for every champion racer who uses his rear brake, you can find one more who dosent. It really is a personal thing since front braking power is so great that you can nullify the rear.

I DON'T use my rear in regular street riding. I think for panic braking it is much more important to perfect front brake use. Every time I have practiced panic braking I bring the rear off the ground "slightly". There is no way to keep pressure on the rear brake without lockup. Remembering to fade off pressure on the rear and separately controlling the front is a little beyond what you can expect from your brain in an emergency situation.

I am sure we don't even need to get into a discussion for those that rear brake only.[:@]

Old 08-14-2006, 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: Blackdog F4i

I think you just need to modify your technique. The ribs on the lever are pretty substantial. Try adjusting your lever to the lowest position possible. This will prevent you from putting too much pressure on it. I have never been able ot apply enough pressure to my rear brake to have my foot slip off without locking the rear.

One last possibility is that your lever may be bent.

I do use my rear brake when I am riding agressively in the twisties. I use it to settle the chassis before turn in. Just keep in the back of your mind that for every champion racer who uses his rear brake, you can find one more who dosent. It really is a personal thing since front braking power is so great that you can nullify the rear.

I DON'T use my rear in regular street riding. I think for panic braking it is much more important to perfect front brake use. Every time I have practiced panic braking I bring the rear off the ground "slightly". There is no way to keep pressure on the rear brake without lockup. Remembering to fade off pressure on the rear and separately controlling the front is a little beyond what you can expect from your brain in an emergency situation.

I am sure we don't even need to get into a discussion for those that rear brake only.[:@]
Yes, I think will have to work on my teqhnique. I know that the lever is not bent but I find that the ribs on the lever run the wrong way for traction purposes and seem to be more useful for side-to-side traction(run front to back instead of side-to-side).

-John

Old 08-14-2006, 12:21 PM

very well said guys. this is good stuff.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:30 PM

One thing I forgot to add. The rear brake is VERY useful on low traction surfaces. If you are riding on gravel or icy conditions. If you are anywhere that the front is very close to washing out, the rear brake is the only way to go. Just make sure you learn what to do when it locks and starts skating to the side.

Quick Reply: Rear brake lever ..... Slippery!