F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Really ?? Can a 2004 F4i be lowered only 1'' ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really ?? Can a 2004 F4i be lowered only 1'' ?

I am 5'2'' and was hoping I could lower my 2004 F4i by 3'' using lowering links. However after doing some searching around I find that an F4i can only be lowered by 1'' and the bike does not support lowering it further. I found that pretty surprising. See the link: http://www.tobefast.com/vortex-lower...r-3330409.html It specifically mentions this fact. Is this related to only the Vortex brand or the F4i's in general. Please help !! This is what I find on the website. Can some also suggest what links would be the best.

Vortex Racing Lowering Links. Select 1"or 3" (the two mounting points will lower your bike 1" or 3" depending on your taste). Fits the Honda CBR 600 F2, Honda CBR 600 F3, Honda CBR 600 F4i, and the Honda CBR 11000 XX.

Please Note: F4i is a 1" Drop Only, others 1" and 3"

Thanks

Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 PM

I hear you can shave the seat, but it'll be very uncomfortable for you. There's always the suspension options. My friend paid 40 bucks at a shop for them to set it up and I'm 5'7'' and I can completely put both feet flat on his bike. Then again, he has a gsxr, but even if I were to sit on a stock gsxr, I'd still be on my toes. I'm thinking about doing the suspension thing myself. Tired of being on my toes.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

It's the f4is in general; you can't go lower than a 1" drop without parts hitting each other.

What's your inseam length? How much foot do you have on the ground right now? Are you male or female? Are you a new rider or an experienced one? I'm a chick at 5'3" with a 28" inseam and I ended up lowering my f4i an inch, but that was only due to being skurrd coming back from a broken leg. I was ok before it with tiptoes on the ground.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 AM

I'm 5'4 and bought the same bike... thought i was going to lower it but got use to it real quick. I just lean it bit..

Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 AM

I would be leary with being on a bike that you have to lean to get your foot flat on the ground. I'm 5'10 and fit the stock height well. I ran into trouble once already when I was riding the bike in the yard around the house to get to the street (The shed is in the back yard). I got between the house and the tree line which is at the top of a small hill that I have to ride across length wise. I slowed the bike and stopped by accident on the hill, the bike obviously wanted to fall down it. I was tall enough to set my foot down flat and hold it up long enough to shut the bike off. Since my foot was flat on the ground before it really started to lean, I was able to lay it down oh so gently and avoid any scratches, dents, or damage of any kind. Getting it back up while it was on the hill was really tough and after it was up, I had to reach my leg over the seat to set on it again. If I was any shorter, I wouldn't have been able to hold the bike straight up and even attempt to move my leg over the seat to gain control again.

Now you probably won't be riding through your yard, on a hill, in a freshly cut but not raked yard lol but this was a scenerio where I would been screwed if I was even an inch shorter. I've also heard of people dropping there bike at an intersection when their foot slipped because they were on their toes and stepped in oil, sand, dirt, pebbles etc. Due to the height restraint, some weren't able to get the bike back up.

At 5'2 you won't be able to set your feet flat even after lowering the bike, but you should lower it that 1'' to help, and so should the 5'4 rider even though you are used to it on level and dry ground.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 AM

Grow an inch.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:23 AM

i thought 3inches would be unsafe for any bike... thats dam near right on top the tire

Old 10-03-2009, 01:34 PM

for 25 bucks, I got laser cut stainless adjustable lowering links off ebay. Second hole is 1.5 inches, i then just slid the forks up the triple clamps till the front and rear where droped the same, and boom, 1.5 inches lower for 25 bucks. i have noticed no ill side affects at all, handles a little different, not bad, just different. and the front fender is closer to the fairing so gotta be carefull about wheelies but i couldnt be happier.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Lowering is never going to improve your bike's handling. It's a tradeoff for safety only imo. I'm probably going to raise mine back up eventually, just having the extra footing has been really helpful with a weak left leg.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:10 PM

Good point Elfling, you're ALWAYS correct!

Quick Reply: Really ?? Can a 2004 F4i be lowered only 1'' ?