F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rattle replaced with a humming HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle replaced with a humming HELP

So i've had the O so popular APE manual CCT installed on my bike. I've got so used to the rattle now that its installed that theres a minor humming sound at the rpm's where the rattle occurred. Is this whats suppossed to be happening I honestly just have no idea what it used to sound like.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Default RE: Rattle replaced with a humming

After reading basically every other post on the site about the CCT install i've found one other person comparing it to a whining sound. I got it installed at a shop cuz they would do it for 100 and i'm tight on time, did they overtighten it? or is this sound what I should be hearing. I was imagining there wouldn't be any sound at all it should run identical at all RPM's so should I go in and play with the tension until I get no whining/humming? Thanks

H

Old 07-02-2006, 11:01 PM

Bump sorry i've got a long ride planned tommorrow and am hopefully gonna figure it out before we take off

Old 07-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Fox
Banned

Could be on too tight... ?

Old 07-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could be too tight...but since you didn't put it on on one knows.
recommended is tighten until sound is gone, then back out until you can hear the rattle and the 1/4 in...or just tight enough that there is no more sound. it's no rocket science and i don't know who made this up either.

if the shop installed it and it's too tight...and kills the motor, they should be responsible for it.
do you still have you stock cctl? it was never 'bad' to begin with...as it gave the right tension through all load. just the tip had some rattling...and maybe the shaft. easy fix and no more worry about APE being too tight, etc.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 PM

I do still have the stock one but just got sick of the annoying rattle and I dont really have too much spare time to do the install so thats why i had the shop put it in. I'll just have to go in and adjust the tension until the sound is gone. It should sound the same in any RPM and the whining freaks me out so i'm gonna adjust it well see

Old 07-04-2006, 05:22 AM

yeah i have the whine too, just have to get use to it.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:21 PM

What year F4i's are effected by this? I have an '05 and am curious if I should get one installed.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:56 PM

I went in and adjusted the tension on it today. It honestly only took like 1/20 a rotation looser for the whine to go away, now i'm happy

H

Old 07-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

supposed only ones with the j22 part still in them...which were replaced in like 03 with the j23 part...some say it still makes noise, just not as much...but like i've been saying, it's the tip of the cctl not the cctl failing.

and 05 has the j23 part...i've installed 3 of them on my bike alone...each time...none of them made much noise...or anything out of the ordinary.

please do some research on the cctl issues and don't fall for the APE hype. they have the tendency to do more harm than good.

Quick Reply: Rattle replaced with a humming HELP