F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rate your Tires v. OFFICAL THREAD!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rate your Tires v. OFFICAL THREAD!

I know there are a lot of opinions out there regarding what tires are great, which are bad...blah blah blah. This thread is designed to allows unbiased opinions on tires.

Rules:
State which tires you have had
Type of riding on tire
State if you liked them or not, review
Give a rating out of 5 (*****)
Cost

I'll go first:

Tire #1: Dunlop Qualifier
I found them to be great tires, just a little squirrely at times in turns. The rear lasted me about 6500 miles before getting close to needing a new tire. I rode the bike mainly commuting, but would twisty about 100-150 miles per weekend on roads and not track. I would recommend them. **** $120

Tire #2: Michelin Pilot Power 2CT
I switched from Qualifiers to the PP's this time. The thing that sold me was the dual composite and flare of the tire. I do a lot of commuting so I wanted a harder center and when I did get a lean going I wanted grip. The tire flares so that you literally "fall" into the lean. You have more tire contacting the road on a lean angle so more contact means better grip/ability. I have noticed I am able to take turns tighter and with more confidence with the PP. I honestly will probably never buy a different brand/type of tire. ***** $130

Old 05-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Default RE: Rate your Tires v. OFFICAL THREAD!

all i've ever had was sliplop 207's. they slide real good and make for a hell of a rope swing. i'm goin withpilot powers next and go ape-crap over all the grip.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Tire #1: Michellin Pilot Power
I did a little commute to work, and commuting to school 4 days out of the week. And after work and school I'd hit up turns and do occasional wheelies here and there. I'm probably a little aggressive on the tire, but I'm not constantly aggressive. I loved the tire a lot I'm probably going to get them again lol.
Got the rear for ~$170 and the front for I think $120, from a dealer not online. If I got extra cash I'll probably order them online, and just bring them in to get them mounted.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm nice and smooth and never had an issue with any tire i've tried...
208s (no more) - fine...long warm up time.
pilot sport (no more) - fine...warm up time sucked.
207s - gripped fine...just scary because afterall...they ARE 207s
PPs - very sticky...bike turns faster...but not as stable.
diablos - very sticky...bike is neutral --- MY FAVORITE ALL AROUND TIRE
corsas - uber sticky...faster wearing stickier diablo.

i will not go to any tire other than pirelli anymore.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

PPs - very sticky...bike turns faster...but not as stable.
diablos - very sticky...bike is neutral --- MY FAVORITE ALL AROUND TIRE
I've got the stock Dunlops on my bike currently and there are a lot of times in corners I get really scared to push the bike because on several occasions I've felt the tire slip. I'm a bigger guy (230lbs) and my body gets really stiff and I tense up in the tight corners because I'm just waiting for the day that the back tire just gives out and doesn't regrip. =/

**edit** Oops I forgot to put what I wanted to ask you. You think the diablos would be better for commuting than the PP? That's mostly what I do I've got 8k miles on my stock tires and in the middle of the rear tire you can actually feel where it flattens out. It's got the curve then all of a sudden there's like a corner or a ridge then it's kind of flat. lol I still want the tire to stick well because when I get the chance I still go out and ride hard but I also want a tire that holds up to long freeway riding.

Mike

Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

diablos and pp (but not to be confused with the 2cts) will be about the same...both are great tires, but i just like the feel of the diablos better. pps will give you more lean angle as it has a taller profile, like the qualifiers and old skool 208s.

both will yield you about 5K or so...but you still will have that flat ridge down the middle, which once you get, makes twisties a bit scary...i mean you start leaning and all is well...then you lean more...and go past the flat spot to the ridge...and the bike dips, feeling like it's about to kick out under you...once you get that ridge riding twists starts to suck.

maybe try a diablo strada...i haven't tried that tire personally...but i'm sure it'll be a good all around tire...

lastly...

LOOSEN UP MANG! you have to trust your tires...and be SMOOOTH!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:39 PM

I had the Dulops 208's that came with the bike. Went with the Michelin Pilot Powers. Warm up very fast, very sticky and allows me to lean even harder on corners I would have never done with the Dunlops. I got mine online for 209.00 front and rear.

I love my tread!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 PM

I upgraded from the stock dunlops to some metzler m3 sportec when i was at the tail and i am a metzler fan for life. I went from a 1/4 to 1/2 chicken to 1/8 strip in one trip across the tail. Heat up time is quick, rain traction is good, dry traction is unbelievable not sure bout life yet only get 600 miles on them.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:06 PM

My originals on the F4i were Michelin Pilot Sports. I don't know how I did it, but I got 10.8K before the cords showed. They worked well, and I had no issues with them. I didn't buy another set because those tires were "outdated". Michelin has since then upgraded to the Pilot Powers.

I replaced the Sports with the new Metzeler M-3 Sportec. At the time, they were the latest compounds on the market, so I went with those. I paid $290 for a set installed with me bringing in the wheels. They were a bit expensive at the time.

So far, I got 3400 miles and 1 track day on them.They perform and wear very well. I think I got at least another trackday on them and a few more thousand miles. We'll see!

[IMG]local://upfiles/16783/15605F820DFB4BA49A666DF77CE60870.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2007, 11:17 PM

TIRE: MICHELIN PILOT POWER
I had Continentals Road Attacks before and those were cool! But the Pilots Powers are the ****! Im not always hard on them but when I go to the Hills they perform! The Steep Angle on the tires makes going thru corners like cake! They got a quick warm up time to! My buddy put his Pil Pow' s on the track and said he loved em but not as much as the race tires! Next tires ima try are the 2CT's. Im sticking with the Pil Pows!!!!

Snowboarding 82!!!! You cant ride scared mayne! Im 270 on my f4i, Backtires slide its appart of riding, just know when to push it and not! If you aint been on a road before dont fly thru it, and remember to hang off a bitt if your going thru the twisties! Diablos I herd are good tires, I know people who thru those tires like every other month or something if they commute! Good track tire i herd too!
snowboarding82

Quick Reply: Rate your Tires v. OFFICAL THREAD!