F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rashed, Leaking from top of fork tube! pics

Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Exclamation Rashed, Leaking from top of fork tube! pics

Hey guys,

I recently purchased this bike and the top of the forktube started leaking do to a crash in a parking lot from the previous owner.

My question is can i just replace the whole top cap and damper dial or is that all pressurized and will it take off when i try loosening it????

Heres a pic:

Old 04-25-2011, 11:55 AM

The forks are not pressurized. Looks like it's time for some new ones..
If the caps are that smashed, there is definitely internal damage also.

Luckily F4i forks are cheap.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sick97SS View Post
The forks are not pressurized. Looks like it's time for some new ones..
If the caps are that smashed, there is definitely internal damage also.

Luckily F4i forks are cheap.
Thanks for the reply! The left fork is fine so now is the struggle of finding a right fork alone that is in good condition. If you know of anywhere with good prices please let me know

Old 04-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by f4imfast View Post
Hey guys,

I recently purchased this bike and the top of the forktube started leaking do to a crash in a parking lot from the previous owner.
that's a lot of damage for a "parking lot" crash. looks like you might be the proud owner of a former stunt ****. any pics of the entire bike?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by stingray View Post
that's a lot of damage for a "parking lot" crash. looks like you might be the proud owner of a former stunt ****. any pics of the entire bike?

The guy who crashed it is a very close friend of mine and the curb is what did all the top damage. He ended up selling the bike to me for a grand.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by f4imfast View Post
The guy who crashed it is a very close friend of mine and the curb is what did all the top damage. He ended up selling the bike to me for a grand.
ok, makes sense that a curb could've done that.

anyway, it's a good deal for a grand as long as the frame isn't tweaked. the f4i has a strong frame so you should be fine.

forks should be cheap on ebay.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:28 PM

you can also buy only the top .. and have a rebuild of the fork it it isnt bent.. thats what i would do..

Old 04-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

The forks aren't pressurized, but that cap could be under spring pre-load. Depends on what spacers are on the springs (you never know what a previous owner has done). Stock it's not too bad, just don't let it surprise you when you turn that last thread. I wrap a towel around the cap, just to be sure I don't launch it.
Ern

Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059 View Post
The forks aren't pressurized, but that cap could be under spring pre-load. Depends on what spacers are on the springs (you never know what a previous owner has done). Stock it's not too bad, just don't let it surprise you when you turn that last thread. I wrap a towel around the cap, just to be sure I don't launch it.
Ern
I guess I will start by disassembling the fork entirely, lay out the parts and see what can be replaced. I'd also like to see if anything is bent because my bars are a hair off from the wheel. When I get the fork apart I will defenitly post some pictures

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM

Hey does anyone know if Forks off other models of bike will work on my F4i??? My triple might be tweaked and if it is im just going to buy a complete triple with forks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rashed, Leaking from top of fork tube! pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.