F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

radiator cap q??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator cap q??

can the bike overheat to 260 if the radiator cap has a leak???
'cause todayafter i drained andchanged my coolant 3 days ago, my f4i overheated to 260...and i noticed that the reservoir is full...it's like the radiator sucks air thru the cap???does it make sense???
and my fan is good-it kicks in on 220.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: radiator cap q??

Did you bleed the air out from the cooling system after you drained and filled it?? If not, there's you problem

And WTF did you let it get that hot?? You should have shut it off WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY before it even got close to 260. Better hope you didn't do any engine damage! [&:]

Old 09-26-2008, 04:51 PM

i live 40 miles from where i work...and i was 1mile away...
you know that i didn't bleed the air...f***
is it the same as doing your brakes???

Old 09-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it's easier than the brakes.

you can do a few ways, but since you have a bubble trapped, you need to burp it out. take off cap.

fire her up and let her warm a bit, then rev the **** out ofher a few times. when you WOT, the thermostat opens, allowing coolant to go through. this pushes out any bubbles, etc. that's trapped threre. you'll see fluid get sucked down if you look inside the cap area. after you think got it all out, do it again. let her warm up or go get stuck in traffic and see if you get over 230 again. if so you have more bubbles.

or you can just let her warm to about 170 - 180. when the tstat opens, you'll see see fluid get sucked down (but thing here is that if bubble is at the Tstat, it may not open so you'll need to rev to burp that bubble out). when it gets sucked down, add some more fluid. then rev few - many times pretty hard. when you think you have all the bubbles out, shut her off, put your cap back on and go fora ride to test.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:12 PM

ok let me try that...thanks guys
i'll keep ya'll posted

Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 PM

The thermostat does not open at WOT. It opens only when your engine reaches operating temp. By revving it up high like that all you do is foam the coolant because it's not under pressure, creating more air bubbles. Leaving your engine at idle is fine until the thermostat opens, once it does you should see the system burp air, and the coolant level drop. You may have to do this a few times to get all the air out. You should also check the gasket on you radiator cap making sure that it's not cracked. It might cause you an overheat, but usually just a boilover through the reservoir.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 PM

ok i just did that, but my level didn't drop...and it's still goes over 130...
btw it seems like the radiator itself doen't have coolant cause i didn't see any inside it!!!???

Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 PM

there's no proper coolant level in the radiator other than full.

Forget about the oil for a minute and do something else;if your bike got up to 260 for any length of time you now need to change your oil. Especially if you had some bargain bin conventional in there. 3.5 quarts.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:04 PM

i just changed it 50 miles ago with 10-40 honda oil...and i hit 160 for 10 seconds...should i still change it???!!
but what's more important now is OVERHEATING!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 PM

260 for a short time - okay.

250+ for how long?

fresh change with honda oil I guess you are alright. 11 seconds is certainly a short amount of time even if at 260. When I changed my coolant a few weeks ago I just let it run in the garage until the temp got into the 190's so I knew the thermostat was open, which I think opens at 183F on our bikes, could be a few degrees less.

Quick Reply: radiator cap q??