F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Race Railz or Vortex Frame Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Railz or Vortex Frame Sliders

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the Race Railz or the Vortex frame sliders for my F4i. Kinda leaning towards the Railz right now. Any thoughts?

Here is what it looks like on a F4.

http://www.powersstuntworx.com/railz.html

Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Default RE: Race Railz or Vortex Frame Sliders

well.....if ur gonna stunt......i would actually get a freestyle ingenuity crash cage.......or if ur just gettin it to be safe.....the vortex sliders.....i just got mine and love em

Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: travsstuff

well.....if ur gonna stunt......i would actually get a freestyle ingenuity crash cage.......or if ur just gettin it to be safe.....the vortex sliders.....i just got mine and love em
Sorry, I should have mentioned its not for stunting.I just think the railz look stronger in a crash. It doesn't look like it can shear off like frame sliders but I don't really know since I have neither right now.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 AM

I've crashed with Vortex sliders every way you possibly can and they have never broken. I had the bolt on one side on my SV bend about 5 degrees in an insane crash but you have to look at it just right to tell its bent at all and the slider did its job. I replaced the bolt and the side is good as new, of course the tank is bashed in from the top, the subframe was bent, one fork, lower tripple, etc. so the slider bolt wasn't a big deal. It should be mentioned that the design of the SV frame requires the slider to have a freakishly thin base so its MUCH more prone to bending than the F4i which has a very strong base. The sliders people always talk about breaking off are the cheapo/imitation sliders that have either no base at all (just delrin and a bolt) or a flimsy base, Vortex sliders come with very sturday aluminum bases (especially for the F4i). If you crash hard enough to break a Vortex slider off of an F4i, your bike is going to be scrap metal and probably spread over several counties anyway, no matter what kind of protection you have on it. IMO the race railz are too much metal.

Cages are good for repeated slow speed hard hits such as stunting. Sliders are good for simple drops or moving crashes where the bike slides on the ground (lowsides and not too crazy highsides). Race railz are a compromise between the two and not as good as either.

They clain the railz "hold up better" because they mount to the frame at two points, but especially with this bike they're "fixing" a problem that doesn't exist.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

The race rails look kinda lousy.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: woodyracing

I've crashed with Vortex sliders every way you possibly can and they have never broken. I had the bolt on one side on my SV bend about 5 degrees in an insane crash but you have to look at it just right to tell its bent at all and the slider did its job. The sliders people always talk about breaking off are the cheapo/imitation sliders that have either no base at all (just delrin and a bolt) or a flimsy base, Vortex sliders come with very sturday aluminum bases (especially for the F4i). If you crash hard enough to break a Vortex slider off of an F4i, your bike is going to be scrap metal and probably spread over several counties anyway, no matter what kind of protection you have on it. IMO the race railz are too much metal.

Cages are good for repeated slow speed hard hits such as stunting. Sliders are good for simple drops or moving crashes where the bike slides on the ground (lowsides and not too crazy highsides). Race railz are a compromise between the two and not as good as either.
I agree with ↑ 100%

Old 12-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

those race rails look like they would hold up better in a crash since they have 2 points of support instead of 1, and i think they look kinda cool considering you dont see them often. either way i hate both sliders and rails really anything that makes me cut somthing on my bike.. but i did it eventully too once i droped my bike b4 i painted it.

its all good pick what you like and #$#@ everyone !

Old 12-12-2007, 11:09 AM

Very interesting, would love to hear first hand experience....

Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 PM

i think you should get the chrome one.
if you really care about your bike side protection i think you should go with the extended sliders with a long puck.
this race thingie seems to be an incoviniece. you have to take off the whole rail to get the fairing off. this would drive me bonkers!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:
vkhamphi btw, in a crash i would not worry about the sides. either fairings, tank, engine covers +etc, those things are easy to replace. i would be more worried about the front. headlight, upper fairing, more importantly is the forks, wheel, a bent frame from torsion of the forks...bla bla ble.
but the most important thing is to make sure that you come out walking! who gives a crap about a bike.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:55 PM

2 of myfriends have race rails on their bikes. one went down at 50 and the slider just ground off. another went down at 80 and the same thing happened. you would think the metal would grip and catch but it doesnt. i have a powers cage on my bike and it's taken a beating. dropped from 12'o clockmore times than i can count with one hand. the cage is finally showing wear. probably gonna get a new one this winter.

Quick Reply: Race Railz or Vortex Frame Sliders