F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Quick wheel balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick wheel balancing question

Alright i took my wheels off and will be installing tires myself at work (auto shop). Now our balancer cant balance mc tires so ill have to take it somewhere. Now should i leave the spacers on the wheel or leave em off like i have now when i go get em balanced? thanks for the help

Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Default RE: Quick wheel balancing question

The best way I've found is to take the yellow dot on the tire (the heaviest part of the tire) and install that opposite of the valve stem. I have never had a problem with balance doing this.......every time I take it in to have it balanced (if the dealer installs the tires for me) the come back all ****ty.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Well isnt the dot supposed to be lined up WITH the valve stem? I still want to bring it to get balanced though but do they need the spacers or it doesnt matter? i don't need em to lose it.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't bring the spacers.
dot is supposed to go at the valve stem...
you can home balance them yourself as well you know? it will get your in the general vicinity of where the weights are needed.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 PM

Yea but all i have is tape weights which from experience i don't really like since everytime ive put them on they fly off. But im pretty sure i can DIY balance them but id rather have a nice computerized one do it. I can break the bead so easy at work sinec we have a tire machine then do the rest by hand.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 AM

I mount my tires at work (too lazy to use the manual changer at home). You line up the dot with the heavest part of the wheel. For most wheels its at the valve stem but some wheels are not. I've always used tape weights and never had a problem on the street or at the track. If you clean the wheel like you are supposed to on a car the tape-a-weight will stick. For added insurance you can put black duct tape on it so they won't fly off.

With regards to a computerized balancer, go to the track and see if any racers use them. For every track day I've gone to no one has used a computer balancer and everyone static balances their wheels. Seems like if its good enough for them its good enough for me.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:17 AM

So hound where would i put the sticky wheel weights? On either side of the center or it has to be dead center?

Ive cleaned my wheels hell ive even scuffed em up before putting on the sticky weights and they fly off. I might have to do it all myself at work. I can break the bead but will take the tires off manually i guess.

Then i can make a wheel balancer with my axles and some jack stands and see where the heavy spot is then line the tire up with that? Then balance it with sticky weights anyways.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:00 PM

duct tape your weights to the wheel.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: bluej511

So hound where would i put the sticky wheel weights? On either side of the center or it has to be dead center?

Ive cleaned my wheels hell ive even scuffed em up before putting on the sticky weights and they fly off. I might have to do it all myself at work. I can break the bead but will take the tires off manually i guess.

Then i can make a wheel balancer with my axles and some jack stands and see where the heavy spot is then line the tire up with that? Then balance it with sticky weights anyways.
If you have a tire changer at work why not just use it. Just clamp it from the outside as if it were a reverse mounted wheel and take it off like normal.

You can put the weight pretty much wherever you want. I personally put them near the middle since my lips are polished.

My balancer is a couple of ABEC 5 bearings that made a stand out of and put the axle to roll on that to have the least amount of resistance.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Retired Administrator

I use a computer balancer in my garage. You can buy an adapter for most setups. I too use sticky weights and they seem to hold, but I've only been in the tire changing business for a year now (and by business, I mean we do it for free). A computer balancer may be a little over kill but we static balance all of our rims to 0.

Quick Reply: Quick wheel balancing question