F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

quick oil question.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick oil question.

Can I use the Rotella blue one as oil for my F4i. Will there be any harm in using this oil, and at what grade should I get.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can use Rotella ~ No, it won't harm your engine (It'll actually thank you) ~ Use 5W-40 Synthetic

Last edited by Incognito; 08-02-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added Picture ~ If you must Know
Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 AM

I might buy this oil then since its only $19 at walmart, but do you guys know what oil filter number I can get there? and how much is it? since I am there I want to get the oil and filter.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:45 PM

I would NOT use car "motor oil" in a motorcycle. Don't forget that this oil has to take care of the trans and the clutch, unlike engine only in a car. Get real motorcycle oil, your bike will shift better and last longer. Just my opinion of course, but check your owner's manual for the manufacturer's recommendation.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:27 PM

my 2cents . i have heard lots of good things about that Rotella oil .

Old 08-02-2009, 05:08 PM

any other peeps with their opinion? The oil I use is about $35 for a gallon forgot the name of it,but its in my nearest motorcycle store.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 PM

I use it also

Old 08-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Whenever this topic comes up I always think about those topics you aren't supposed to talk about when you're drinking/partying; religion, politics, etc. I think they should add motorcycle oil to that. Or, more specifically, if you can use car oil in a bike.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:05 PM

This is from Shell's website.

"Can heavy-duty diesel oil be used in motorcycles?

Motorcycle gasoline engines may not seem in the same league as the big displacement diesel engine under your hood, but they share some of the same lubrication requirements. So yes, in many cases, a premium heavy-duty universal oil capable of serving both diesel and gasoline engines is the best choice for your bike.

The high power-to-displacement ratio of a motorcycle engine means rod and main bearings are subjected to loads that are not normally found in passenger car engines. The valve train is also highly loaded, and requires extreme pressure boundary lubrication. The same can be said about gears in the transmission, which are normally lubricated by engine oil. Oil additives containing phosphorus protect these highly loaded extreme pressure areas (in both gasoline and diesel engines). Because diesel engines have higher loading of components, more of the phosphorus-containing additive is present than in typical passenger car oils. And with advanced catalyst systems for gasoline engines, the phosphorus content has been declining in passenger car oils.

Since many bike engines are air-cooled, and tend to be operated at high power outputs and speeds, their lubricating oil needs to be more resistant to high temperature oxidation. That?s another advantage of a premium universal oil. Another thing you want in your motorcycle is oil that has excellent viscosity control, so that with use it retains high temperature viscosity. Some multiviscosity grade passenger car oils, subjected to extreme loads, can quickly thin out. Their viscosity can drop to the next lower grade.

One last thing to consider is whether oil contains friction modifier additives. For improved fuel economy, most passenger car oils have such an additive. But the wet clutch in your bike doesn?t perform right with friction modifiers. Universal engine oils don?t have friction modifiers.

Be careful choosing diesel oils. Not all of them are universal. In addition to the API Service Category CI-4 PLUS for diesels, look for API Service Category SL.

Premium universal oils like Shell ROTELLA? T Multigrade are formulated for heavy-duty performance, and your bike engine has some heavy-duty challenges for oil. For optimum performance, be sure your oil is up to the challenge."

Old 08-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Supertech filter is ST7317. Its only $3 at WM, and is the same quality as OEM, but bigger so it will filter a little better.

BTW: This topic has been covered like 6 times in the past 8 weeks...SEARCH!

I just answered this filter question YESTERDAY @ 1:17 PM. Its still on the 1st page of the threads. *****!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: quick oil question.