F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Quick Easy power upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Easy power upgrades

Hello, I just bought an 02 CBR 600 F4i with 4600 miles for $3300. I found a few things I want to replace (i.e. The clutch cable, cct, tires got replace with dunlop qualifiersl). I'm fairly new to the motorcycle game so I was wondering if there is anything I could do to get quick and easy power gains. The bike came with a D&D headers and exaust system and powercommander (i assume this is something like the VTech controller for bikes?) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Default RE: Quick Easy power upgrades

its vtec

and you have the right idea with the power commander = vtec controller (sort of... vtec controllers dont really do s**t, trust me. Im not exactly new to four-wheeled hondas). Really, with an exhaust system and PC, youre pretty much set. Since you say youre new to the motorcycle game, Im assuming your riding experience is minimal, so Id suggest building skills before you worry about power and going faster. Assuming you havent already, go to http://www.msf-usa.org/ and sign up for a class, and remember to gear up when riding

Old 09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're new to bikes the biggest power upgrade will be an msf class, a couple months riding experience and a track day! 100bhp is a handful.
after that the biggest feel of a power boost is from a gearing change... you can change the gear ratio of the final drive (drive chain sprockets) easily to make the engine scream quicker = more torque/power at the same speed! (unless you want to keep the 160mph top end). search for '-1' or '-1,+2' or sprocket

Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Lol yah I know it's VTEC, that's an old inside joke me and my friends have and I'm kind of used to spelling it that way. I took the MSF course to get my M class so I guess the only upgrade next is really learning how to ride.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM

Why would you need a power gain? Especially for street riding, the F4i is more than enough power!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Vtec controllers just change the point the cams switch lobe profiles. No vtec system on cbr's, only the VFR. A power commander is a fuel managment device. It allows you to alter the fuel delivery and tailor it to the mods.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: 808HondaLife

Why would you need a power gain? Especially for street riding, the F4i is more than enough power!
I was just wondering if there are quick and easy upgrades that had little or no cost.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

There are alot of quick an easy upgrades for the f4i but none of which your going to see alot of gains out of. I would just keep it the way it is exhaust and power commander. Then if you want an upgrade try a 1000rr out and you should be good

Old 09-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Operating System upgrade. Flash the RAM. In other words, the grey matter between your ears will make the biggest change.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: SDCBR619

ORIGINAL: 808HondaLife

I was just wondering if there are quick and easy upgrades that had little or no cost.
Yes, there are easy quickies. but I don't think you will need any upgrades since you are new to this game. On the other hand you won't notice any difference before you get know your bike. To the top of that, you already have a slightly modified bike I guess. I would spend my time to get know more about my bike instead of start modifying it.

Quick Reply: Quick Easy power upgrades