F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

questiong about cleaning and lubing chain.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questiong about cleaning and lubing chain.

well i got some stands yesterday in the mail there not bad for 123 shipped. but any way i decided to clean the chain i used a stiff plastic brush and WD-40 and then i wiped it down with a raglet it sit for a few hours and put some chain lube on. now my question is i took a short ride and it seems like there isnt enogh lub the center of the chain looks shinny and the guy and the dealer told me it shouldnt look polish and neither should the sprokets. so should i put more lube on i mean i put it on fairl liberly yesterday. or should i just ride it and put some more on in 300 miles? iknow it seems like a stupid question but i want to take good car of my bike.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Default RE: questiong about cleaning and lubing chain.

Don't put too much on or it will fling all over the freaking place. I use the Honda white graphite chain lube after I wash my chain, sprockets, AND rear wheel. First I take it for a short ride to warm up the chain a little bit then I throw it back up on the stand and spray the lube in the middle of the chain where it makes contact with the sprocket and spin the wheel. After one revolution of that (applying liberally) I start the bike and put it in first gear spray it for about 5 seconds then let the wheel just spin for maybe 15-20 seconds.

Whatever you do DO NOT clean the chain and sprockets while the bike is running and in gear unless you think that your pesky fingers seem to get in the way of everything you do in life and you would like to have them removed. Also, be careful when you're around that thing when it's spinning it's no joke!

Mike

Old 06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man, fingers! I hate those things!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:12 PM

no offence snowboarding i know your doing that as a warrning but man if you cant figure out not to grabe a moving chain then you should be riding a motorcycle LOL

Old 06-09-2007, 04:52 AM

someone told me not to use wd 40 to clean the chain cuz it will deterate the o ring s unless the chain is 75o/o gone and your going to replace it soon. i use brake clean cuz id dryes quickly and dosent make a hell of a mess .

Old 06-09-2007, 11:16 AM

I dont trust the WD40, my friend uses it, and seems to have gone through chains a little faster than he should have. but he still swears by it. Not to mention, WD40 is a dust and dirt magnet.Not sure about brake cleaner either, doesntbrake cleaner say notto get on rubber parts?I think brake cleaner is pretty aggressive on rubber.

I use kerosene to clean mine, its a good solvent of grease, and its oil based.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Cleaning the chain with WD-40 and letting it sit......WD-40 doesn't evaporate. Which is why it's used to lubricate door hinges, sqeaky parts, etc etc. And it ATTRACTS and HOLDS dirt and dust.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:28 PM

No wonder my chain is always so freaking dirty! lol I used to use the Honda White Graphite stuff but they discontinued it!!!!! Oh by the way I hate all you Californians, it's your fault with your "no more aerosol can" law that they discontinued my stuff!!! Now what am I supposed to use? =(

Mike

Old 06-10-2007, 03:57 AM

If I'm going to bother cleaning a chain, I take the whole thing and degrease it in kerosene-based solvent. After that, I hose it down with a good chain lube before I put it back on. Maxima chainwax is some tough stuff that doesn't come off.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:39 AM

+1 for maxima's chain wax, cheap, convienient, and doesn't fling at all

Quick Reply: questiong about cleaning and lubing chain.