F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Purchasing a high mileage F4i

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a high mileage F4i

Maybe this person who is selling it posts on here but...

What's your thoughts on purchasing a 2001 F4i with 35,000 miles. Clean bike, new tires, yosh exhaust.

What shouldI be worried about or concerned with?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Default RE: Purchasing a high mileage F4i

if it starts up?
j/k
just check out the usual; check into the clutch

Old 06-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I ♥ CBRF

Looks good (not laid over and pretty stock)...sounds good (no engine noise not the yoshi) then it all be about the $$$ for me. I would want to see receipts or records on when clutch, chain,or any kind of necessary work was done seeing how its got so many miles. But at least you know he didn't replace the ECU/Tach to show lower mileage. I'd probably lay down some cash and test ride it. It's a honda so they last forever if you take care of em right.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 PM

Mine has 25,000 on it and it runs just fine...You may need to change the clutch and brakes though.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 PM

i just made 24 g's on mine yeah check where the frames and fork meet to see if he went down if he did there will be some metal missing. i would just really look at the bike man make sure he treated the thing right. like everyone says man as long as they have been taken care of they will go for ever.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 AM

Mileage isnt an issue. Its all about how it was cared for. Look at how the tires are worn, thats a good indicator of how its ridden. Flat in the center ? Then the guy probrably commutes on it.= higher mileage. Shredded to the edge, then he probrably rides it like it was made to be ridden. If it appears to have never been tipped over, or down, then its probrably been well cared for. Most answer's are right in front of you. If the bike was abused in those 35k miles you would probrably be able to tell.... think about this,........ if it wasnt cared for, do you think it would be still be around after 35k ? If it looks, rides, and sound nice. Your probrably safe.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:11 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tori

Mileage isnt an issue. Its all about how it was cared for. Look at how the tires are worn, thats a good indicator of how its ridden. Flat in the center ? Then the guy probrably commutes on it.= higher mileage. Shredded to the edge, then he probrably rides it like it was made to be ridden. If it appears to have never been tipped over, or down, then its probrably been well cared for. Most answer's are right in front of you. If the bike was abused in those 35k miles you would probrably be able to tell.... think about this,........ if it wasnt cared for, do you think it would be still be around after 35k ? If it looks, rides, and sound nice. Your probrably safe.
Exactly! Maintence and how it was treated will play a much larger factor in determining engine life and overall reliablity than just mileage. I'd take a well cared for high mileage bike (or car) over a low mileage poorly maintained and/or abused one anyday. Just look at my bike, it's about to turn 95k miles and still runs and rides like the day I bought it new. Had it not been taken care of, I doubt it would have lasted 95k miles much less still run like brand new. It's like anything else, you get what you give. Treat it right and it'll return the favor for a long long time. Treat it like crap and it'll do the same to you

So check it out, if it looks clean and cared for, and the owner doesn't seem like a douchbag then it'll be fine... 35k ain't nothing on these bikes

Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 AM

I understand everything about if it was treated right it should be fine, but I'm new to the motorcycle world, when do things typically start going?

Like on a car, even if you treat it right, your cluch might need to be replaced or your shocks or whatever. Should i be worried about suspension components going soon? Or replacing a chain or anything? I'm really pretty new to the bike world so sorry for the questions...

Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM

just wondering if you dont mind me asking what is he asking for it that you realy wanna get that bike i just bought mine a month ago and went for the best deal i could find ended up being not so good as i changed sprokets and chains and cct.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Users

A guy I used to ride with put over 110k on his Honda before it hit a guardrail. Treat 'em right, they'll run for a long time.

Quick Reply: Purchasing a high mileage F4i