F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Punctured tire.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Punctured tire.

I an using the same post from my other forum. Oh well. Im lazy. So today I was riding to an eye appointment. Went through an intersection and heard a "Pop". I thought it was just a rock or something. I get to the place and when I come out my bike feels weird. Look at the tire and it is wayyy low. "F%$K!". I got to an Autozone and bought a plug kit. Put in a plug and walked across the street to RADAIR. I talked to the manager and he was nice enough to let me use their air for the tire. He even had a portable air charger. Awesome. Plugged the tire, got the air tank and filled it up. It leaked a little bit but I decided to go for it. My friend rode with me the whole time flashing hazard lights. Made it home and the tire had 31 PSI. I tore the plug out and re-plugged it, this time using two plugs.

I need a new front tire and now I need a rear too. At least now it is a easy decision whether to stick with the rear brand or go two new ones. Might as well change it up to a stickier tire. I have Pirelli Diablo/Strada on it now. I am gonna look into new rubber soon. The worst thing is that the Teddybear run is Sunday. I don't want to miss it, and I don't want to pay a shop to do the work, I want to bring in the tires. I don't have stands though. So this is going to be difficult. Maybe I will do one tire at a time.

I hope that this plug job sets up well and it holds good air. I figure I will let it cure for a while and I can air it up and let it sit for at least one day to see if it leaks any. I figure as long as I make it to the run I'll be okay, they usually have a truck and trailer that follows for anyone that broke down.

I know this topic has been done before so I am going to be doing some searching, but anyone running a plugged tire now? How long have you ran your plugged tire. I know it can be done, and I know people have put very many miles on plugged tires. I wouldnt push it on the expressway or in the twists, but as long as it gets me 12 hours of riding on Sunday I think it will be alright. I also ran a inner-tube in my ex250 for 4 or 5 thousand miles. Got a nail in my new tire and tubed it, I don't know if that affects the tire though. Anyone have experience or wisdom on that front?

I will be doing a burnout on this tire until it gets flat at least. Thats the only way I would ever do one and I might as well smoke the tire if it is ruined. Maybe I can keep it for a spare, that would probably be smarter. It has allot of meat on it still.

Here is a picture of the puncture and the offending sheet-metal screw. Also pictured is his good friend, Mr. Valve tappet (At least I think thats what it is.) Pulled that out from under the valve cover of my EX250 the other day. That explains why it wasn't running well. Also pulled out a washer or something that goes on-top of the spring, Don't know the status of the valve, the one piece is missing a little chunk. Gotta find the nut that was on-top though.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get tires? Or a tire preference?

Old 05-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Default RE: Punctured tire.

Try ebay I got my front and rear m3's for right under 200 shipped. I love my m3's I have not tried any other tires besides the stock dunlops but I am in love with metzler. No matter what I do I never feel out of control, or as if I am sliding.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Any chance of a link on that deal F4Isvt? I am ordering some tires tomorrow and that is a good deal.

TIA

Old 05-29-2008, 08:18 PM

I found PP2CT's for 309 shipped. I got 44 psi in the tire now, seeing if it holds it over night. Probably gonna ride my cousins harley in the run.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:29 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/METZE...spagenameZWDVW
Sorry it wasnt 200 it was 240 I couldnt remember if it was 200 or 250 either way I think it is a great deal.
*edit* if your like me and dont have paypal you can call them direct to the store and still get the same price over the phone.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: F4Isvt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/METZE...spagenameZWDVW
Sorry it wasnt 200 it was 240 I couldnt remember if it was 200 or 250 either way I think it is a great deal.
*edit* if your like me and dont have paypal you can call them direct to the store and still get the same price over the phone.
Thanks man

Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM

No problem I dont know how fast they ship I only live 2 hours away from thier shop so they got here pretty quick 2 days I believe.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 PM

The thought of pluging a MC tire is just scarry to me. I can see doing it if you need a short fix to make it home, but to keep riding on it after the fact. The phrase "penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind when I think of this. Only the foolish in this case, with a MC, could mean you life! Shell out the money and get a new tire.

BTW, have any of you experienced a blow out?? What happened, to the bike feeling wise? Did you ride it out safely? Also how fast were you going? I dont mean to change topic, but I was just wondering since we are talking about tires.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 AM

Been running on a plugged tire over 2000 miles. No air leak, no problem.
All that a plug is is rubber and cement, after it gets hot it becomes part of the tire.
I have never had one fail. I have one with 40,000 in a SUV tire. Worse case is the tire leaks air.
If there was a liability issue they would not sell plug kits for bikes.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:14 AM

Plig kits for cars, Im all for. If you really want to risk using a plugged tire on a bike, when you only have two to begin with, then best of luck, Im not going to take the chance.

Quick Reply: Punctured tire.