F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Proton Flushmounts Installed on My F4i - Pics Included

Old 02-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proton Flushmounts Installed on My F4i - Pics Included

Here's before and after pics. I'm very pleased with these lights. You have three different options on how want them to blink. They are super bright and seem to be very high quality. Not too tough of an install if you are willing to take the front fairing off. Replacing the fairing after was a major pain in the **** though.

Also, do yourself a favor. If you are planning on swapping out either rear or front turn signals. Don't screw around with resistors. They are hard to install and can heat up enough to potentially melt plastic. Instead of resistors, get a replacement turn signal relay. I bought mine from Custom LED. It couldn't have been more simple to replace the stock flasher with this one, and it easily solved all flashing problems since adding my CA tail light and these Protons. The replacement relay is too "dumb" to care if the load on the circuit changes. Basically it doesn't have the fast flashing capability, which in the stock relay is designed to warn you that you have a turn signal bulb that's burnt out.

Anyway, here's the before...

Another before....

And the After....

Another After, with the lights on....

Old 02-18-2006, 12:48 AM
Default RE: Proton Flushmounts Installed on My F4i - Pics Included

Looks great, much better than stock!

Old 02-18-2006, 12:57 AM

I like them very much !

Old 02-18-2006, 03:03 AM

Looks really good. Do you have a pic of the front like in the first few with the stock lights? I'm just curious if you can see them from the front. Thanks for the link for the relay, I have been looking for something like this for a while because I don't want to do the resistors. I really can't wait to get my rim stripes on now LOL. Your bike keeps looking better and better.

BTW does the flasher just plug in or do you have to cut and hardwire it?

-Jesse-

Old 02-18-2006, 05:30 AM

looks like sex.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Turnin20s

Looks really good. Do you have a pic of the front like in the first few with the stock lights? I'm just curious if you can see them from the front. Thanks for the link for the relay, I have been looking for something like this for a while because I don't want to do the resistors. I really can't wait to get my rim stripes on now LOL. Your bike keeps looking better and better.

BTW does the flasher just plug in or do you have to cut and hardwire it?

-Jesse-

Here's another shot from the front. In this picture you can't see the Protons from this angle from the front. I can tell you that they are visible from the font, and very bright. But from this high an angle they are blocked by the air intakes.

Thanks for the comments. The last appearance mod I have planned for this bike right now is to add a Targa seat cowl. But I have some tricks up my sleave for the cowl to make it unique.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:29 AM

One other thing, it's hard to appreciate the flashing patterns of the lights from pics. But I can tell you that all of the three available options for the protons are pretty sweet. You can decide which you prefer when you install by selecting which wires you want to connect. Also, you get to keep the running lights without having to do any crazy wiring or adding any other devices. Lastly, if you don't plan to replace the rear lights and just replace the fronts, the Protons have current resistors built-in, so you don't need to replace the flash relay. Again, this is only if you aren't replacing the rear lights as well. If you put LEDs on the rear then the same quick flashing problem will occur.

Thanks again for the comments.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the last pic. The bike looks really good. I ordered the lp arrows and am still waiting for my local dealer to get them, its been 3 weeks[:@] I started to take my bike apart to install the fame sliders and was hoping the signals would be here soon. BTW how hard is it to remove the upper cowl? I really don't want to take it off, but I can't get anything off without doing it. Does the headlight come out with it? Thanks

-Jesse-

Old 02-19-2006, 12:19 PM

Removing the upper cowl is relatively simple. There are 8 allen head screws (3 per side fairing, 1 on each innerfairing) and two of the little black screw clips on the inside around the radiator. There's only 1 electrical cable that connects all the electronics in the front fairing to the rest of the bike. The mirrors have to come off too. The rest of the front fairing is one assembled piece, so pieces will fall out.

I don't think it would have been possible to do the turn signals on the front without removing the front fairing. Putting the front fairing back on was a chore though. I got the right side on easier than the left, I think because there weren't any cables to fight with. Once I screwed the right side on (the easier side) I was able to take care of the left. Just be careful not to drop it.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:57 PM

Its probably been said and I just missed it, but where is the flasher relay located? Id like to upgrade mine to the flasher you linked to. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Proton Flushmounts Installed on My F4i - Pics Included