F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

projector install, fuel pump gone

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default projector install, fuel pump gone

Hey guys, here goes the story... I bought a set of projectors with halos online and went to install them 2 day... Got all the dis-assembly done and started wiring everything up... Halfway through I wanted to see how the lights looked to give me more motivation to finish this pain in the a** install lol... I plugged everything back in and when i switched the ignition on everything was normal except my FI light wasnt on and the fuel pump wasnt priming but everything else was getting power... this is when i noticed that on the left side of the Neutral green light was a red light that was never on b4... the only red light that used to come on was the red FI light on the right side of the green Neutral light... I then got my probe light to check to see if the fuel pump connector was getting power and it barely light up, very faint... I checked the fuel pump by running a direct 12v feed off the battery to the pump plug and it started priming like normal(thank god the pump itself isnt bad)... But now i am lost and frustrated bc i dont understand what unplugging the headlights and blinkers to get the front off has to do with the fuel pump not getting power... I cant make the connection there and have been going insane for the past few hours... Has any1 experienced anything like this... is there something so simple i cant see or overlooked... any help is greatly appreciated, thanx

Old 05-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Tip sensor?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:07 PM

yea im gonna have to look into that, just dont know how or why that would have been set off

Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 PM

I'm pretty sure the front harness has to be connected for the bike to start.

If I'm not mistaken, the controls are connected to the front harness. Therefore, If the kill switch isn't connected there is no signal to tell the pump to prime.

Last edited by DBEAU; 05-04-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by DBEAU
I'm pretty sure the front harness has to be connected for the bike to start.

If I'm not mistaken, the controls are connected to the front harness. Therefore, If the kill switch isn't connected there is no signal to tell the pump to prime.
Correct. If its plugged in then check for resistance across the plug in the green wire.

The pump will not prime without the headlights on/plug connected.

The red light is your oil pressure light and it will illuminate any time your key is on with the engine off or anytime your oil pressure drops too low.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM

thanks for the info fellas, so far ive tried all those suggestions... i plugged the tip sensor back in and made sure it was level and i got power to the green wire and the bike itself was turning over when i tried starting it but still no pump prime... double checked the pump itself by running a direct feed off the battery to it and its still working... damn i hate wiring! lol

Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM

you should try plugging in your old lights into the harness to make sure that with the old set up plugged in that it stills works. If that does work then you know its the new wiring of the projector and you may have crossed something... any chance you have a wiring schematic of what you did? it may help to see what you have connected where

Old 05-06-2011, 03:52 PM

ill try using my old lights just to check it out... this is the wiring diagram i am following... PROJECTOR KITS... the only difference is i have halos as well and theres an extra step for that but i haven't got that far yet... the halos splice in to the direct feed off the battery and then run a switch... ive been on the phone back and forth with this place and as far a customer service i have to commend them, but just frustrating that i cant find the source of the problem

Old 05-06-2011, 04:35 PM

hey random though but have you tried flicking the start and kill switch. when you tip the bike flipping the switch resets it... maybe when moving the tip sensor it never went back? punting here. Also where you in nj? I am in nj and if you need help it may help to actually see it

Old 05-06-2011, 05:57 PM

If none of those check out check to see if the relay under the right side of the tail is working.

Quick Reply: projector install, fuel pump gone