F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

power surge and FI light

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power surge and FI light

hey guys and gals.....was wondering if any of you guys might have had the same problem i'm having and might have found the solution.....i low sided my 01 two weeks ago.....was leaned over and lost traction, being the roads were covered with ash from the local area fires......bike slid into a fence and busted my tail light.....after i picked up the bike, the battery had been drained......i pushed started the bike and got home....

well i rode on sun and the bike is having some weird problems.....when i'm riding, the bike with surge with a little power, kindof like a blimp or downshift, the FI light will come on and stay that way for a sec or two, will blink twice and disappear. the bike will behave normally after this. it's hard to duplicate and happens sporadically. it's bad enough that i was feeling really uncomfortable in the canyons being it's feels like an abrupt downshift and i didn't want that happening leaned over in a turn.....

any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

dc

Old 11-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Default RE: power surge and FI light

From my knowlege 2 blinks meanloose or poor connections of the MAP sensor vacuum hose.A faulty map sensor. And the engine will operate normally. Well good luck bro.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:49 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Yup.

Take your seat off and use a wrench and tighten your battery connection down really tight. it got loose.. 99% sure your problem will go away.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 PM

thanks guys....i'll do that and see what happens.....much appreciated.....

dc

Old 11-25-2008, 01:51 PM

did it fix it?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:30 PM

i've got my own theory on this one...

1) A loss of the battery connection won't make you gain power.Power loss, but not gain.If someone can explain that to me I'll give you a pultzer prize in awesome.

2) A map sensor error is in no way associated with the battery. A change in performance associated with a map sensor fault is a fuel related problem, not electrical.

3) I still love ya roj

Old 11-26-2008, 01:47 PM

flyou has some great points....took my battery back to the dealership to have it charged, so haven't had a chance to see.....it's raining here in socal, so probably next week....in regards to power surge, i guess it could be power loss....but not really, it's like a downshift with some hesitation, it'll blimp and engine brake, i'll throttle and it'll hesitate.....then after a couple seconds, will respond normally.....i've been noticing the bike has these moments were the throttle is extra finicky and where i usually let off the throttle to engine brake, will jerk the bike more so than usual......and rolling on isn't as smooth either....but it comes and goes.....thanks for the help guys!!

dc

Old 11-26-2008, 03:39 PM

when you dropped your bike, I bet you jolted your fuel pressure regulator. That would explain the MAP Fault and the change in performance due to excess fuel pressure. Same thing happened tome about 4 months ago after I dropped mine.

Check my post here:

https://cbrforum.com/m_698107/tm.htm

that's just my hunch. take it or leave it

Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 PM

thanks flyou, i changed my fpr about 18 months ago when i bought the bike....bike had sat around for 6 years and the damn thing rotted all the way through.....did you replace it or just check the hoses were tight and seals sound?? haven't had the symptoms that i had before i changed it, but we'll just have to wait and see....thanks tho, i'll take it

Old 11-26-2008, 06:56 PM

I totally replaced it. The hoses were good though. My bike is about 6 years old as well. But yeah, I would start with troubleshooing that MAP sensor fault for sure. Maybe re-lube up the connection pins on the map sensor and check all the vacuum hosesto make sure they're snug. Sounds like something stupid just got jolted loose. When you replaced your FPR, did you use the J32 model or the J31 model? Was it brand new?

Quick Reply: power surge and FI light