F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Power Commander III Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander III Question

I bought my F4i as a race bike and it came with a PC3 and a special tuned map. The guy said the map that the bike was using was tuned for racing and it cost quit a bit for the custom tuning, so I don’t want to loose this map. The bike handles more like a r6 now, with lots of top end power, after 8K it just opens up like a beast, so it’s perfect for the track but for the street I would like to have a more stock or linear map, can I save this map that is being used right now and somehow go back to stock?

Also, I noticedon other f4is there is a blue light on the Speedo. On mine, after I start it up, no lights come on, it takes around 20 seconds to do a little warm up and I have to hold the throttle open about 1/8", then a red light comes on which says "F1" and the bike is ready to ride. The guy who sold me the bike said this is normal, I think he said it is for the PC3 and the map. Anyone know exactly why I have a red light that says F1 and why don’t I have a blue light like the stock F4i's?

Old 06-02-2007, 04:42 AM
Default RE: Power Commander III Question

if your talking about all the leds that are in the stock gauge cluster above the digital display, the only blue one is the high beam indicator. since it looks like your bike doesnt have headlights, do you still have a headlight switch? if you do, try switching it and see if the indicator comes on.

now im pretty sure the "F1" light your talking about is actually the FI light, which stands for Fuel Injection, and you actually dont want this light to come on as it is a warning indicator. usually if this light is on then there is some kind of problem with your fuel system. also, your bike sould take a lot longer than 20 seconds to warm up, and i would not hold the throttle at all. just let it idle (it should change idle speed a bit by itself to compensate for the cold engine to warm engine switch), and then just watch the temperature indicator. it should read "--" for a minute, then it should turn on at around 95 or so i think. i let my bike get to 115 or so before i even tough the throttle, and am easy riding it till it gets to about 150 or so.

sounds like the guy you bought it from kinda BS'd you a little. although if im wrong on any of that, someone feel free to correct me.
________
HEALTH STORE

Last edited by axsys; 05-04-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:16 AM

I see, yea i just saw a bunch of f4i vids and they all had that blue light, and i just went to check on teh bike and i realized it was for the high beam.

Regarding the FI light, do you think maybe it comes on to tell me the PCIII is changing the FI setting or somthing. Because the bike runs great right now, no problems and i have ridden it about 80 miles so far, I have no insurance or plates, it was never registered, so i cant ride far right now. And when the light comes on everything is smooth.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:17 AM

well if you wanted to save the map just go to power commander .com and download the software its free and you can save maps and get stock ones all for free as with the f1 light coming on tis like the prevous guy said its fuel injection and its telling you thats some thing wrong. i suggest a manual by clymer itsonly 20.00 and will help in diginoseing your f i problem.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:24 AM

i would download your map how F4iT said and try to find a pre-made one that matches your setup (slip-on/full pipe, stock air filter or k&n, etc). also, does you FI light stay on, or blink? if it blinks, it shows the error code by the certain number of blinks it does.
________
Michigan Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 AM

What year is your bike, is it a colifornia model? I'm wondering if your bike had an O2 sensor, being an 06 model or an older model but otherwise a california model, and the O2 sensor has been disconnected, or perhaps the bike is set to run so rich that it simply trips a flag.

As has been mentioned, you can save your existing map on your PC and load a sotck map for various components that are on your bike, i.e. type of exhaust, stock air filters, etc., from power commanders website.

The blue light you refer to, are you thinking of the highbeam indicator? It is next to the Red FI light.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:40 PM

it's an 01 and it is not from cali. The light just stays on. When I first start it the bike will shut off if I don’t keep it open a little bit, at this point the FI light is not on, when it comes on I can let go of the throttle and the bike is normal.

I'm going to dl a map similar to what I have, all I have is a full M4 exhaust, but they don’t have that one as a map so should I just pick one that is similar?

Old 06-02-2007, 09:56 PM

what does your bike idle at when you start it up, and what rpms do you hold it at? what about idle speed when its warm? your idle adjustment could be off. i think its suppose to be around 1500 rpms when warm. check it out and let us know.
________
Avandia lawsuit info

Old 06-02-2007, 11:09 PM

When the light comes on after about 20 seconds it idles around 1500.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 PM

a friend of mine has an f4i that kept tripping the fi light after he put a pc3 on it.. I think that he said there was a workaround for it, but i can't remember the exact details