F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Powdercoated calipers (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoated calipers (PICS)

So in my ongoing struggle to finish my bike....I had sent out my calipers to be painted honda red...and to add some flair (and since my bike is blk/red) i had the bolts all powdered black....

here are a few pics of them before I put them on the bike...i am sorry for the crappy pics but my digital camera is MIA right now so these are cell pics...I will be posting more about the job in my diary thread later...

and just for a little background...i also bought red speigler SS lines that I put on with black fittings and banjos to complete the red/black braking system...also painted my brake res black with a viewing window to essentially make the lower part of my bike all bike, oh and i painted my rear master cylinder black too...all this will be discussed in my diary thread so check it out later...

so here are the pics

Name:  IMG00007.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  IMG00011.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  IMG00008.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  IMG00009.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  IMG00010.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  50.8 KB

you'll also notice i painted the caliper springs black...one was drying so only one caliper has them on right now....

Old 11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Default RE: Powdercoated calipers (PICS)

looks good. lets see some pics on the bike when you get a chance
________
Medical Marijuana Card

Last edited by Rick619; 03-21-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Users

yeah i will, i will probably put them on tonight, but not fill and bleed the brakes until this weekend....i have the SS lines already on so it won't be hard to just put the calipers back on

Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you replace all the seals as well or no? i have a spare set of calipers...think i will go with gold for that bling look!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Users

you know, i was going to take them apart myself but i decided it wasn't worth the hassle, the place i had it done, for an extra $10 will disassemble the calipers and put them back together, so i just sent them how you see them and they sent them back together and powdered...they take the pistons out and seals but reuse them, i have read online that you don't really need to replace them unless they are really old are you damage them when taking them out....so the short answer, no i didn't replace the seals....

everything looks good though...i will be putting in my fluids this weeekend likely so i will let you know then...haha.....

Old 11-14-2007, 11:03 AM

They look real nice!

Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Official Welcome Crew Junkie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Calipers look real nice

Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 AM

You didn't have any issues with refitment, especially the bolts? Powdercoating is pretty thick, which is why you generally want to fill all the holes in, say, your frame when you get it PC'd, else the bolts won't fit back in.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Users

nope, they filled the holes, there is no powdercoating in the threads....now i also had them powder the bolts and there is some powder on the thread of the bolts, but they did do a good job of not heavily coating the bolts, it's actually a very thin powdercoat....i had my rearsets and pegs, etc. done and had a ton of fitment issues that i had to sand down some powder to get everything back together....this was actually a lot thinner than the last coater i used and is still looks good...

the threads that do have powder, they are a little tougher to tighten up, but they move okay, they aren't binding or anything....i will no more about any issues when i put them on but i threaded the bolts all the way through to make sure and didn't have any problems...

Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Users

just FYI the job costed me $45....that's WITH them disassembling the calipers for me....that includes shipping back to me as well....i sent them fedex (big mistake) so that was the only other cost which was like $20...could have been a lot cheaper had i done it through UPS or USPS....but live and learn....so overall...it was roughly $55-60 with smart shipping (not FedEx)....

Quick Reply: Powdercoated calipers (PICS)