F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Possible CCTL? Not sure

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible CCTL? Not sure

Long story short, my bike is making a rattling noise at all rpms. The noise was there when i just rode, but it doesnt always happen (or i dont notice it). Its louder when its warm. The thing is, I dont think its the CCTL because its only coming from the left side of the bike (left side when sitting on bike, side with clutch) and it seems like its coming from the top of the head. Possible valve ticking? Im not low on oil or anything like that. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cctl

Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM

doesnt the cctl make noise from the right side?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM

My 01 does the exact same thing, except I installed an APE manual cctl and it still does it. Any ideas on what it is would be awesome.

Last edited by Captlombardi; 03-30-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM

How loud is it? If it is only a slight ticking/chattering noise it may just be normal engine noises.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 AM

left side is the stator, right side is the clutch (when sitting on the bike) cctl makes noise from the right side of the motor (when sitting on the bike)

Old 03-30-2011, 09:14 AM

if its just ticking its normal. I believe its the injectors, or maybe valves. Ive got two f4i's downstairs, one with the valves just adjusted and it does it still too.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 AM

yeah I would imagine it is normal. when I got the bike it was running pretty much open pipes (PO put an ebay tip on it) and when I reinstalled the stock pipe I could hear all the noises I was missing, ticking and rattling etc included haha...anyway its been doing it for about a year and 4000 miles or so, couple oil changes and a trip to Colorado, still runs fast and has no trouble starting. never heard that "BBs in a coffee can" sound, and under the presumption that "if its the CCTL, you'll KNOW because the sound is distinct", i think my engine is just making normal engine noises. it does get a little louder when the engine is fully warm though it could be the oil thinning up. a thicker oil can act as a band-aid to quiet an engine but it really isn't a good idea to mess around with oil weights when you have a wet clutch. cars are different.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a rattle or a tick? A tick would be more a valvetrain issue.
Does the rattle or tick change speed with the rpms?

The stock CCTL will mostly buzz around the 5-6krpm mark but will not buzz any faster or slower depending on rpms.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM

I've been noticing the same thing..here's my thread...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...filter-122987/

Abstract:
(At idle and esp at 2500rpm, there is this "chatter"...almost sounds like very loose valves/valve float or something...it is def aside from the injector sound...it seems to be less audible or gone completely at higher than 3000 rpm...obviously not the CCTL as that is up near 5500rpm and my CCTL is fairly new...If I sit there at idle and put my ear to the engine...it is for sure top end/valvetrain chatter?!)

My CCTL is the OEM J24 (latest) version and only has 3k miles on it...I want to say its not that but It just may be...Mine though sounds like valvetrain ticking rather than CCTL chatter....

The CCTL is located on the clutch-case side/Exhaust slip-on side of the upper engine case...my ticking/chatter is most noticeable from the middle or stator cover side on the upper head (valvetrain)

If Rez says he has one in his basement that has freshly adjusted valves and it still makes the ticking/chatter noise than it seems its normal. These first year F4i's seem to be noisey by design (gearbox and engine/valvetrain)

What Im not grasping is how mine JUST came up...If I had heard the ticking/chatter from the get go then Id say oh well its a characteristic of the engine...but no I JUST started hearing mine

I'm starting to believe that the FIRST YEAR F4i's (01's) are a bit more chatter'y and possibly tolerances were looser from the factory! If you think about it, this is one of the first fuel injected sports bike.

Aside from a chattery valvetrain and clunky, loud, long-throwed gearbox, they are super awesome and fast as *****...much faster than the 03-06 F4i's Oh snap....just joking guys

Oh and btw, loud injector noise seems pretty easy to distinguish from head-chatter...I have loud injectors...ticking...the head-noise is chatter

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 03-30-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Possible CCTL? Not sure