F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

pissed off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pissed off!

just got the new bike tuesday and rode it home the 12 miles. didn't have another chance to ride until tonight, so i go out and start the bike (06f4i) and i see that the left headlight dosn't work, it will only work on high-beam, and then to top it off, the last thing you want to see on a new bike, the red malfunction indicator light is on and the the low oil pressure indicator is blinking!!! the manual says its due to low oil level, i checked and not the problem, or oil leak, no sign of external leak, or clogged oil filter? it seems like the best i could hope for is that the oil pressure switch is shorted--something to do with the headlight being out maybe? my worry is if the engine was somehow starved for oil what kind of damage was done to the engine? dammit!!!! i desperately wanted to ride my new bike and now it looks like i'll have to take it back to dealer and have them put their dirty paws all over it! i wont even attempt to touch the bike till they look at it. i was going to check and see if the oil filter was clogged, but then i thought better of it. thats all they need to blame you. oh well, the 12 miles i didi ride it i was in love. i'll never go go back to anything but a high performance bike.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Default RE: pissed off!

left headlight is youre high-beam and right is youre low beam ligh. at least thats what i have. now the oil presure does blinks untill u start the bike and then is goies away thats what i have aon my f4i

Old 12-13-2006, 11:36 PM

That's normal on the bike. Like Maximus said, the left light only ligts with the high beam on and the oil light wil blink? (Mine turns on when the bike is with the ignition but the engine kill switch on the stop position.) When you turn the engine kill switch to the run position you will see the light turn off and if you are really paying atention you will hear the injectors going through their startup sequence. Once the injectors have finished going thorough startup the light will come back on again. That's on an RR I dont know if the f4i blinks instead of having the behaivior i just described.

Anyway it sounds normal to me.

Start it, if it does which it should, dont turn it off imeddiateley let it get to operating temperatre before shutting down. this will prevent damage to it from oil starvation and prevent the injectors from getting flodded.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:02 AM

thanks...but the (MIL) red light and low oil indicator were staying on after the bike was running...i think i found the problem...apparently if you start the bike in nuetral with the kickstand down the warning lights continue to stay on...i tried it with the stand up and no lights! i just got back from a short ride and the temp was a steady 170-180...i'll try again in ten minutes and if the lights stay off after start i'll be a happ happ happy man. thanks for info on the headlights. just a dumb newbie mistake.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:13 AM

haha we've all had the thought "**** one of my headlights is out!" Ive actually heard of people getting pulled over cause the cop thought they had a light out [&:]. No sweat tho...thats why we're here[sm=smiley16.gif]
________
Depakote Lawsuit

Last edited by Brandon77; 04-09-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:18 AM

ORIGINAL: canman

just got the new bike tuesday and rode it home the 12 miles. didn't have another chance to ride until tonight, so i go out and start the bike (06f4i) and i see that the left headlight dosn't work, it will only work on high-beam, and then to top it off, the last thing you want to see on a new bike, the red malfunction indicator light is on and the the low oil pressure indicator is blinking!!! the manual says its due to low oil level, i checked and not the problem, or oil leak, no sign of external leak, or clogged oil filter? it seems like the best i could hope for is that the oil pressure switch is shorted--something to do with the headlight being out maybe? my worry is if the engine was somehow starved for oil what kind of damage was done to the engine? dammit!!!! i desperately wanted to ride my new bike and now it looks like i'll have to take it back to dealer and have them put their dirty paws all over it! i wont even attempt to touch the bike till they look at it. i was going to check and see if the oil filter was clogged, but then i thought better of it. thats all they need to blame you. oh well, the 12 miles i didi ride it i was in love. i'll never go go back to anything but a high performance bike.

please dont tell me you went back to the dealer =]

Old 12-14-2006, 04:29 AM

Yeah the hedlight is normal haha. I never drive at night so both of my headlights were on always :P

The light indicator is always on until you start the bike, pretty much what everyone else is telling you here so there's no use in repeating it

Enjoy and have fun on the new bike, I know I am!

Old 12-14-2006, 10:11 PM

my indicator lights were staying on AFTER i started the bike. they'd go out only when i lifted the sidestand. i didn't go back to the dealer but called him about the malfunction (idiot lights) remaining on after bike was started and he said that wasn't normal and to drop the bike off for them to look at it. my biggest concern were the red light and the low oil pressure light staying on after bike was started. they are supposed to go out a few seconds after bike is started. the manual says nasty things about bikes not getting right amount of oil...

Old 12-14-2006, 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Brandon77

haha we've all had the thought "**** one of my headlights is out!"
yeap, my dad(who cosigned for the bike) did that as soon as i pulled out of the dealer behind him in his cage...so we turned around and asked the guy at the dealer...lol

so yes, weve all done it

Old 12-14-2006, 10:53 PM

My advice when it comes to high beams for safety reasons...keep 'em on at night too!!! [:-]

Even though it may blind others, it just helps you to get attention better and sooner. Also, it helps others judge your distance better away from them if they want to pull out behind/in front of you. I've had personal experience and a buddy of mind the same...at night with just low beams you get a lot of close calls because you just have one little low beam light that doesn't attract much attention.

So high beam on all the time! It'll save your *** one day and countless other days. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: pissed off!