F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Pics of my fixed F4i (NOT FOR THOSE WITH 56K)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pics of my fixed F4i (NOT FOR THOSE WITH 56K)

You know what... Great job! I know what its like to be in college and have hobbys that cost $$$! I really tip my hat to you. A prime example of having a passion for the hobby, I mean it may not be your cadillac edition bike just yet but you took your time into making it your own for your own enjoyment, and who cares what other people think. Its all about you man, and when your on the road just ride your ride!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 AM

That's a huge improvment.

What's the brand of the plastic weld that you used? I'm actually in the process of doing the exact same thing.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 AM

It was Permatex i believe, but like i said it didnt hold for too long, unless you apply it HEAVILY. I do recommend doing fiberglass, that is still holding strong. Just make sure you scuff the edges really good. Maybe if you fiberglass the back of the part you used plastic weld on, it would hold... just a thought, and i wish i would have tried that to begin with.Good luck with your project... it was actually fun for me.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM

hey man, bike looks sweet! is that a semi gloss? my next bike will be painted like that!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 AM

I used Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint in Satin Black... itcovered really well, no runs or blotches.

I used a black sandable primer under that...

I do recommend one of those handles that you attach to the paint can that makes it like a spray gun. I didnt use that until i got to the tank during Christmas and i wish i used it on the rest of the pieces.

Any other questions about what i did?I will happily help you.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 AM

i wish i had seen this thread in about 2 weeks.. haha, yeah, cuz im behind. i have a 04, and im currently in the middle of a split seat conversion, but the tail i got was a salvage tail, and i got a hellava deal on it, so i decided to do the body work, and paint it myself.. however, i can't shoot the paint yet, due to the weather here in socal (go figure) its been raining for about a week straight, and wiht the humidity, i can't shoot it yet.

but, here's some pics, and a sample of paint.

ive never shot paint professionaly, or for that matter, even shot paint before, its more like learn as you go.

60 bucks in paint supplies, and a 9.99 spray gun!

dont mind the orange peel at the bottom, i didnt sand, primer or prep that trash can lid at all, i just simply wanted to see what kind of shine i got out of the clearcoat.

i would assume it would cost about 80-100 dollars in paint. might be worth wild... if your interested in doing it yourself.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:43 PM

That's looking good, but what did you use for the bolt recess on the front part of the tail? I had one part of the left side fairing where the bold hole ripped out and i couldn't fix it, so i used a washer instead til i get a new piece.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:22 AM

i found a company up in canada that makes plastic repair products, and i invested in some of the material to repair and reform missing pieces of plastic. also, its like plastic. its the chemical make up of plastic, so once you mix it, and let it cure, its basically plastic. so i made a mold, and created that part of the fairing that was missing. you should of seen the crack near that missing piece. it was nasty!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 AM

Whats the company's name? Ive seen a couple plastic repair products when i was looking for stuff to use, but ended up just going to the store and getting what they had there.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Banned

looks good, maybe after having the Honda for a while you may not RATHER HAVE AN R6.

Quick Reply: Pics of my fixed F4i (NOT FOR THOSE WITH 56K)