F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Phone mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phone mount

Hey

I am trying to find some sort of phone mount to hold my droid incredible to my bike cause I want to use it as a navi.

I've been searching for days and I cannot find anything. All I can find are handbars mounts and while looking at my f4i, there is no room on the clip ons to mount anything.

I remember seeing someone post up a site that had holders that mount to the stearing stem...but I cannot find it

Can anyone help me out?? I'm going on a pretty long road trip soon and I am terrible with directions so some sort of secure way to mount it to my bike would be awesome

Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk if this would help but could you get headphones and listen to the lady tell you directions or some kind of velcro to hold it to the handlebars

Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM

I wanted to mount my phone to my bike but when i did my first "prototype" i could not believe how the vibrations got transferred to my phone, in the end i decided it wasnt worth it because their was no way my phone was going to hold up to those vibrations in the long haul.

Gotta put some sort of foam / rubber in the mount to make sure your phone doesnt fall apart IMO.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:32 PM

yea..I was also thining about that. headphones will prob have to do....I'm not too sure how velcro would hold up with the heat the bike is givin off and the bumps I will prob be experiencing. maybe if I could find the type of harcore velcro they use for those e-z pass boxes when you go thru the toll. I have an ezpass on my bike and it has never shown any movement.

wish there was a better options out

Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I've been seeing guys using is an mp3 player armband holder for their smart phones & mounting the holder around the triple. In particular, the armband holder for the 3gs/4gs works for many dif brands/models of phone.

Some riders put them on their arms like quarterback play holders too, so they can just look down at their phone & keep going.

Another option is using a map holder or tankbag w/a clear window on top, to serve the same purpose.

Good luck w/ your shopping.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
What I've been seeing guys using is an mp3 player armband holder for their smart phones & mounting the holder around the triple. In particular, the armband holder for the 3gs/4gs works for many dif brands/models of phone.

Some riders put them on their arms like quarterback play holders too, so they can just look down at their phone & keep going.

Another option is using a map holder or tankbag w/a clear window on top, to serve the same purpose.

Good luck w/ your shopping.
thats a really good idea....armband around my forearm so I can quickly glance down at it....thanks.....also very light on the wallet

Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

I met a bike on a ride that used the "see it on TV" stuff. It was the putty that you hang stuff on the walls with. He would put it on his gas tank and stick his phone to it. Then when you stop you just twist the phone and it comes off. Then you peel the putty up and use it again. Just saying... another option.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Don't they have holders for phones that suction to the inside of car windshields? You could possibly use one of those and suction it to the gas tank.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Name:  P5230014.jpg
Views: 5104
Size:  106.5 KB

this is what i did... its a universal phone mount from the mall, i took the back off and stuck it in the center bar ... its real secure. i ride canyons with this and my phone mounted to it and it works great. oh, and if you download "Vlingo" with any android phone, it reads your text messages to you. real convenient.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by OrangArmy063

this is what i did... its a universal phone mount from the mall, i took the back off and stuck it in the center bar ... its real secure.
What do you mean "stuck it"? How? Do you have any more details on the mount mfg?

I already had a suction cup mount so I cut the suction cup off the bent it so it would rest on the crossbar and then snake down next to the ignition switch where i secured it with zip ties. I was careful not to interfere with anything in the full range of motion. I use a couple of my daughters hair ties to go around my phone for extra safety. It's kind of nice because I can turn my phone around twist the mount so I can video record out the front window.

I would like something that looks better though, like your mount.

Droid X will be here tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Phone mount